Help, I'm having a heart attack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
How long before she starts eating? My Radiated came home 5 days ago and she eats very little everyday. She is walking around fine as in active, no nose discharge, eyes are clear. It's really upsetting me to see her hardly eat, does it usually take this long? Her diet consist of mainly mazuri mixed with salad mix. I also put on the food a little butter squash or grape juice to motivate her but she only nibbles on the food every now and than. She is drinking water fine. She's close to 5 inches in length and weighs in between 270-300 grams. Is this the ideal weight for her size?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know a thing about the radiated tortoise, but the thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was for you to ask the previous keeper what the tortoise is used to eating. Sometimes they don't recognize what we feed them as food. Have you tried picking something from the garden? Grass, weeds, etc?

auhckw

5 Year Member
At least yours is better than mine. Mine didn't want to move at all for nearly 2 days. At about 3rd day, it started moving. Then slowly eating. It took about 1 week+ before it is as it is now.

As long yours is active, still eating and drinking, it should be still Ok.

Like wat Yvonne suggest, would be good to know what it is eating previously cause it may not be used to your proper diet meal.

samstar

5 Year Member
She was on salad mixes before to which is why she does nibble here and there with what I feed her. Lets see in a few more days, hope her appetite builds up.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I think I'm missing something here. Your last post stated she was 50 grams lighter 5 days ago?

samstar

5 Year Member
harris said:
I think I'm missing something here. Your last post stated she was 50 grams lighter 5 days ago?

I was wrong, she was 20-30 grams lighter. Not 50. My mistake.

samstar

5 Year Member
Yourlocalpoet said:
Is she CB?

No she's not which is why I had her feces tested for worms which I expected and true enough she is and on panacure.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
samstar said:
Yourlocalpoet said:
Is she CB?

No she's not which is why I had her feces tested for worms which I expected and true enough she is and on panacure.

I'll take an educated guess that that's the reason she's not settling in too quickly then. I don't know anything much about radiated tortoises so I don't have any useful advice unfortunately but good luck, hope she gets an appetite soon.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Sometimes it could take about a week before new tortoise settles in and start eating regularly.

samstar

5 Year Member
I had her poop tested again today and all was clear, no worm eggs whatsoever and the vet checked her inside out, all good other than the fact that she just needs to get used to her new environment and pick up her appetite.

auhckw

5 Year Member
samstar said:
I had her poop tested again today and all was clear, no worm eggs whatsoever and the vet checked her inside out, all good other than the fact that she just needs to get used to her new environment and pick up her appetite.

How do you test her poop?

-JM

5 Year Member
auhckw said:
samstar said:

You take it to a vet and ask them to run a fecal. They do a series of tests to check for various parasites and then tell you their findings. It costs a little money but it's worth it, especially if you're dealing with WC animals.

They can do it for any animal, and it's always a good idea after getting a new pet.

samstar

5 Year Member
-JM said:
auhckw said:
samstar said:

You take it to a vet and ask them to run a fecal. They do a series of tests to check for various parasites and then tell you their findings. It costs a little money but it's worth it, especially if you're dealing with WC animals.

They can do it for any animal, and it's always a good idea after getting a new pet.

Hi Jessica,
I did that and nothing showed up, even the few worm eggs it had has been cleared.

YES!!! Click here:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-17360.html

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The worming med can make her appetite decrease. Double check the temps, feed a very varied diet to entice her, place her in front of the food twice a day, make sure you have hides near the food and near the basking spot, and as long as she eats a little bit on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry yet. I wouldn't use the fruit to entice her since she is already eating and you are only worried about the quantity.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
The worming med can make her appetite decrease. Double check the temps, feed a very varied diet to entice her, place her in front of the food twice a day, make sure you have hides near the food and near the basking spot, and as long as she eats a little bit on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry yet. I wouldn't use the fruit to entice her since she is already eating and you are only worried about the quantity.

Thanks. I only offered the grape fruit once but no more. Temps and rest all ok accept I have not trying putting her in front of her food dish which I will do forst thing tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.