Help! I'm new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_Need_Help

5 Year Member
photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 2.JPG

So yesterday I found a baby tortoise under my car tire, I brought him inside and started googling the crap out of tortoise care. There is a lot of conflicting info but as far as food goes it seems he should like grass, lettuce, and fruit. However, he has not eaten since I found him even though I try feeding him by hand and leaving food in his box.

I haven't seen him drink either but he did pee quite a bit this morning

Through googling I believe he is a Sulcata Tortoise.

I don't know if this is relevant but he slept for 15 hours last night. I wasn't to worried though because I read this is normal activity.

Also, I read that they like to be scratched, but whenever I touch him at all he gives a 'hiss' and thrusts forward while tucking in his head. Obviously I have stopped this because he seems not to like it but what exactly does that mean?

When he is awake he likes to walk a lot. I have him in a cardboard Christmas tree box with the appropriate bedding and a hide space but he keeps scratching at the box. is this regular?

EDIT: added pics

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, you certainly do need help! :p

First of all, we'd like to see a picture so we can be sure that you have I.D.'d him correctly.

In the meantime, offer him some Spring Mix. Most baby tortoises will eat this.

If you truly do have a sulcata baby, then you will find some helpful information in the "important threads" section right at the top of the Sulcata section.

Happy reading!!

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Desert tortoise! Not Sulcata :)

So cute!

He needs heat, first and foremost. Cold babies don't move much and lose their appetite.
_________
~ Shelly ~

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I cant believe you found him under your tire!! What a cutie u have there!! :)
Welcome to TFO!! :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yep desert tortoise. You need to buy a lottery ticket ASAP with your luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A normal clutch size for desert tortoises is 4 or 5, sometimes 6, so start looking around where you found the first one and maybe you'll find some more.

While your box is a very nice size, it really isn't appropriate for a baby tortoise. He needs moisture...a moist substrate. And because they're prey, they're pretty nervous out in the open, so he'd probably like for you to add some plants, either real or fake to help him think he's out of sight.

I_Need_Help

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help, and yes he is cute. He is warmer and much more active now but I am still concerned that he hasn't eaten anything yet. I even went out and bought the recommended 'Spring Mix' salad-ish food for him. Do they just not eat very often or what?
Thanks again all.

Status
Not open for further replies.