Help in choosing right Tort please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeraJ

5 Year Member
I have been doing lots of research lately to choose the right tort for my family. Right now I have a 21 month old and a 4 year old and am interested in getting advice on which breed would be best to raise. We don't have much room in our home and it will be primarily an indoor pet. We have been looking into adopting a Russian, Greek or Herman's Tortoise.

Can you please help me in choosing the best one?

Thank you so much!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sera, and welcome to the Forum!!

In my opinion, all tortoises belong outside. I understand, and realize, that there are times when this isn't possible, but that's the way I feel.

If you must have a tortoise indoors, you have to have the absolute biggest indoor habitat that you have space for. The tortoises you've mentioned, especially the Russian, need lots of room to wander, and they get stressed by living in small, cramped enclosures.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a Greek in a 40 gallon tank in my room. He's only about 5-6 inches, so really, his tank is HUGE for him and he has plenty of space, but he generally sleeps when he's not eating or basking. I love the Greeks, they normally stay small. The female I had was about 8 inches long, and I kept them both outside the majority of the time, but now I keep him inside. I live in Arizona and the heat is rising, so i don't want him to get dehydrated or too hot.

So I would say Greeks :) They are easy to care for and friendly.

SeraJ

5 Year Member
I understand your concern with keeping them outside, but I live in a colder climate so indoors it will be when it gets too cold. Thank you for the reply!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
How cold is it? If UK kind of weather, they will be fine outside 24/7 without heat after hibernation, minus a few really bad days so have a small indoors set up.

SeraJ

5 Year Member
I am in SouthEastern Michigan so my winters are quite brutal, not moderate like where you are. Be assured, like all the pets who have graced our home, it will be spoiled!! :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
You could get a breed which hibernates during winter and let it hibernate, if you want to. :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
The above.
That's what I meant. Cold winters are fine as you will be hibernating inside if you choose a tortoise from the Testudo genus.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Aren't there a few graeca subspecies that don't hibernate?
I'm just adding this because Greek tortoise were mentioned as suitable above.

(I might be completely wrong though ;P)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
peasinapod said:
Aren't there a few graeca subspecies that don't hibernate?
I'm just adding this because Greek tortoise were mentioned as suitable above.

(I might be completely wrong though ;P)
No you are correct. The Tunisian definitely doesn't, some Morrocan graeca graeca will not hibernate in the wild, and it is the same with some of the ranges of the other species. If it is an ibera, terrestis or most graeca graeca it will be safe to hibernate. If you are unsure of the exact locality I would contact either Dan on Shelled Warriors, or contact the Tortoise Trust as they have done a lot of work with the graeca subspecies.

SeraJ

5 Year Member
I defiantly do not want a hibernating species and lots of my research has led me to the Mediterranean torts. Perhaps if I want to explore later, after I am comfortable with one tort, I can get another... But I don't want to get ahead of myself. Thank you all. I am looking at a western Herman's (much smaller species) and a Greek. I have a great vet who specializes in these type animals already and a great source for a healthy animal. I just want to get the right one for my family. It is a lifelong commitment.

God Bless!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Devsharky I have Greeks and I live inAZ they are out side all summer and all winter they rest all winter til about Feb. 14 they been out for about 3 or 4 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.