Help (injured eye)

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Help my tortoise has a swollen eye and it s bleeding a little what do I do!! I think she got it digging can you tell from the pics!

Help!!

Good eye

image-4106410985.png

Bad eye
image-3856648330.png

Attachments

• image-2958260554.png
    image-2958260554.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • image-1257769340.png
    image-1257769340.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • image-2930409387.png
    image-2930409387.png
    1 MB · Views: 71

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Help

I've seen this on female Russians that have been harassed by the males. The male tortoise bites the female's eyelids in order to subdue her.

Ask your vet for some antibiotic opthalmic ointment. Its good to have around in case of an eye emergency.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area

As emysemys said it is pretty common to have an injured female when the male is aggressively mating. But if you do not have a male then she certainly could have hurt herself on a rock or stick she is digging around. I agree with the suggestion to get some opthamalic ointment from the vet. It will help to protect it while she is healing. You may also need to keep her out of the dirt until she has a chance to seal up the wound

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member

I do have a male and thanks how much is the ointment ?

What would I put her in rather than dirt?
And also how long will it take to heal?

ottosmom18

5 Year Member

They have turtle eye drops at Petsmart, and some people say it works...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

It usually costs around $10 for a small tube, but it lasts a very long time.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member

It's not really on her eye it's just that her eyelid is puffy. It's seems to be healing up I haven't had the chance to get the med and how do you apply it? How do I clean it to?
-thanks

Can you get the cream at petco?

Is there any way to clean the cut?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts

russiantortoiselover1 said:
It's not really on her eye it's just that her eyelid is puffy. It's seems to be healing up I haven't had the chance to get the med and how do you apply it? How do I clean it to?
-thanks

Can you get the cream at petco?

Is there any way to clean the cut?

just clean it with some warm water and a qtip, get all the dirt out you can. don't put any human ointments on it. i had this same problem and i bought terramycin on an online tortoise supply store and it worked great. although by the time i got it, the wound was basically healed.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member

Are qtips safe? Wont the fluffy stuff stick to her eyelid
It seems to be healing up but she only opens it when she is eating or when she wants to.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
russiantortoiselover1 said:
Are qtips safe? Wont the fluffy stuff stick to her eyelid
It seems to be healing up but she only opens it when she is eating or when she wants to.

i never had that problem. i washed it with hot water and soap on the qtip (obviously try not to get too much soap in her eye), dried it then applied the terramycin with a clean qtip. and i did this daily. i noticed my tort could keep his eye clean so i left him with his dirt. but if she gets a lot of dirt in it, you could put her on just some clean towels i suppose. it took maybe two weeks for it to heal. they're tough little guys, in most cases, keeping it clean is most important.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can keep her on newspaper until it is healed. It is still a good idea to soak her daily, the water will help soak the eye too.

If you can't get it from a vet, you might find the Terramycin ointment at a local Feed Store, you wouldn't have to wait for shipping. Apply with a Qtip, the ointment prevents any issue with cotton from the tip breaking off.

Is she housed alone or with another tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.