Help is he sick? :( baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Hi my name is Taylor and I just purchased a 4 month old baby sulcata(except to me he still looks like a hatchling cause he still has his egg breaker thing on his beak and he is so small!)
Anyways I got him through Canada post, inno bad, and to my luck his shipment got delayed so he was In there for 3 days 2 nights instead of 1 night.
When I opened the box the Tupperware container was SEALED and there was NO heat pack in there at all.
He was freezing, in his own poop (green and black) and no signs of food either.
Trust me I'm very upset that his old mom didnt try harder to make him comfortable.

So my problem is that after I warmed him up and have him a 30min soak( head out of water) and let him rest ALOT he still looks out of it :(
He has walked a total of 15" since I got him yesterday morning.
Is constantly sleeping with all his limbs out.
Flinches in his sleep and looks like he stretches his neck every couple of mins.
His eyes like never open, only after I bathe him or drop water on him.
He drags himself rather then walking...
He won't eat let alone move or Wakeup.
He is in there cause I touch him and he movies. He's not scared of me at all.

I really don't know what to do, I'm scared
Ye I have only had him for 2 days and my boyfriend says I'm over reacting but I'm acting now if something is wrong. My boyfriend has a bearded dragon and a milkshake, we aren't new to reptiles.

Help me!
What do I do????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    966.2 KB · Views: 134

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Given that any tort in a new home can get scared and withdraw, your little guy has every excuse after the trauma he has been through.

It will take time, warmth, soaks and peace and quiet for him to decide he trusts the world again. Try not to stand over him watching

Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, you have a very sick little sulcata on your hands. I think you need to contact the seller ASAP and let them know that the tortoise has been lethargic since you got it, with its eyes closed and not moving.

We can try to help you nurse him back to health, but the prognosis isn't good.

Peyton

5 Year Member
Does he drink the water when you soak him if so try the liquid vitamin by Flukers it helped my baby tort this is what it looks like ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371932340.611042.jpg

Calcuta+sage=[HEAVY BLACK HEART]

Forgot to add you can buy it at petsmart

Last edited by a moderator:

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Lets just double check if your set up is right, then if it IS we know it was the other owner or the shipping that made him this way ( I am guessing it is) Tell us please what the temperatures are in the hot side ,basking area, cool side, and night time temps. What is the humidity? What are you feeding him? Does he have access to water 24/7? These will help us understand his situation better. I am guessing the other owner probably realized he was sick, wanted an easy way to get rid of him, and sold him. Also, is his plastron (Bottom shell) Soft/squishy? With his size it should be flexible but still hard. Check the top shell as well. Do you have a UVB light or does he get outside at all? If you can answer all these we can try to help you and see if anything needs to get changed to give him the best chance of getting healthier.

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Peyton said:
Does he drink the water when you soak him if so try the liquid vitamin by Flukers it helped my baby tort this is what it looks

Thanks I will try it, but he doesn't drink he does however wake up and move more when I soak him. I'm soaking him now and he has his eyes open and looking around but the poor guy just looks like he's sick either that or just depressed. I think I will soak him more often seeing that he isn't drinking
The seller just says "give him time sulcata are tough"
:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98

Peyton

5 Year Member
Do you have a coil bulb because those are known to cause eye problems because it looks like your tort has a little bit of white eyes

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
The temperature in the middle of his big tank is 70f under the lamp is 80f and he hasnt even bothered walking over to the cold side. I have been putting fresh letus / cut up grapes/ cantaloupe but he doesn't even recognize the food.. He has shallow water dish he can walk in if he wants but he won't even go close to it. He has a shelter with shade but I move him there every once and a while. I don't have any humidity in the tank, how do I go about that? His shell is flexible and hard.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1371935748.023646.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371935765.108622.jpg
And his eyes are closed in the picture. When his eyes are open they are a nice deep black

That is only 1/3rd of his tanks too. I'm not sure the lady at the pet store gave me the correct bulb? I feel so bad for him, thanks for helping me figure this out guys

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
He needs to be wayyy hotter. Id remove the sand. Too. Hot side 105 cool side mid to high 80s even 90. Soak in water about 93 degrees. Hes obviously very cold. Hope he pulls through.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Yes I agree that makes a lot of sense. I was obviously given the wrong bulb and too excite to actually read if It was correct, note to self.. Don't always trust people who work at pets stores! Running to go grab a heat lamp now. The correct one! Any that you prefer with your guys?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Mercury vapor during day and a CHE during night. Get a lid for the top too. Coco coir is best substrate for these little guys too. If you cant seal the top with a lid. You can use aluminium foil until something more permanent can be arranged.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
yes please raise the temps. I know that powesun bulbs are expensive but they last a longgggg time and provide UVB rays which is needed. I think the 100 watt is $50 or so, but you may find it cheaper online. I forgot who makes it :( but Look for a bulb that says powersun. 100 watt is the lowest wattage but provides plenty enough heat. Get something to cover the entire top of the cage so its closed it or research the forum for a closed chamber set up. If you make a closed chamber you'll have no problems holding in heat and the humidity. To get humidity, I use 2 different substrates. Coco coir on the bottom layer, repti bark on top. The reason I do this is because I can pour water onto the coco coir and it will stay moist. Then I mist the reptibark about 4 times a day, it dries off fast which is good because then the tort isn't sitting in totally damp substrate. This will give you about 80% humidity. Please search for Tom, he is a user here, and he gives advice on how to raise sulcatas the hot and humid way which will make your tort grow smooth and not pyramid. Also search the forum for closed chamber. Some of us spend a great deal on making them, but there are many cheap ways to make them. You could get a big plastic tub from walmart with the lid. Cut a hole the exact size and shape as your heat lamp, and rest it right on the hole. This traps heat and humidity, and trust me, it's very benificial for the tortoise. And it gets plenty of air, you don't need "vent holes" As for food, if you can't grow much try to find dandelions somewhere where the yard isn't fertilized or treated with pesticides. Torts really love dandelions and they are good for them as well as long as they are untreated. There are various plants and weeds you can give the tortoise, just ask around. If you can't grow anything I suggest spring mix lettuce, romaine, endive, green leaf, (maybe a little kale) mainly big leafy greens you can find at the produce section in the grocery store. With his size, you can easily buy one of the options and itll last for 2 weeks before it spoils (usually) But you can switch it up each time you go to the store so he gets a good varied diet. You can also find untreated grass, although he's a hatchling, he might not eat it. But grass is healthy. Also remember to get Calcium powder and sprinkle it on his food 1-2 times a week. If you don't get a UVB bulb, then maybe try and get him outside 30 minutes at least twice a week, and that should get him the proper amount of UVB from the sun. I think once you raise the temps he will eat, wake up, become active. A tortoise can't digest well without proper heat, so that might be why he isn't eating much. I hope this isn't very overwhelming for you and please understand we don't think you are a bad owner or anything of the sort :) We all had to learn our lessons and we all had questions and have received advice multiple times. Everyone makes mistakes. I'm just trying to give the best advice that I can for you, from what I've learned. Echo my hatchling is my first tortoise too and I had even more questions and things to fix than you. Keep it up, once you figure it out, you will love your new tortoise, and be ultimately happier and you'll start to enjoy your time with him/her. You are off to a good start :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The cold temps during shipping started the problem, the cold temps once he arrived and over night didn't help. All you can do is warm him up and wait and see. He might make it. Don't let him drop below 80-85 at anytime and have a hot spot around 100 for 12 hours a day. Don't use a coil UV bulb and try a baby food soak or two. He needs it dark at night, but still warm. Never lower than 80 anywhere in the enclosure.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is how I set up my sully's tank. I got coco chor as a bedding.
I got a hide in the middle with a che on a thermostat set at 85 f. I got a heat lamp over a rock set to 100 f. The cool side stays at 85 f. I also have a plant water plate for him to play in . At nite the temp.stays at 85 f. This is very important.I cover the top with a screen made for the tank you can get at Petco for 10/20 bucks. I put his lights inside the enclosure not on top and cover with a towel. To keep temps up and humidity up. Read the sulcata threads and follow Tom he knows his stuff we all follow his lead to some extent. Hope this helps it works for my Sully and thanks Tom again.
Mike

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Seems like you've had some good advice so far. I so hope he pulls through for you! poor little guy. Keep him warm, hydrated, comfy and relaxed. Good luck!!! He's gorgeous.

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the help. It's more help then I could get anywhere if I did join this site. When I finally heated the tank he woke up imstantly and walked a few steps and tried eating, of course that letus was all soft from the heat and by the time I ran back with fresh he decided to fall back asleep. But there's hope! I'll keep soaking him. He really likes little soaks and wakes up. I hope he isn't sick with something bad that I don't know about.

Taylor

Didn't*

TBoyze

5 Year Member
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
After I posted that this morning I looked at him( his tank is in my room) and he was marching around his home like a champ! Went in the water, looked at it between his feet and walked out. The water is a bit cooler and only leg deep is that ok? I put a mushed red pepper and letus near him but still no appetite. But now that he actually walks!! I'm happy. Hopefully his appetite comes soon! ImageUploadedByTortForum1372009217.990646.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372009231.432204.jpg and here are pictures of bathtime :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats awesome news! Try some spring mix or just some greens like collard or mustard my sully loves them . What I feed is a mix of mustard,hibiscus,Timothy hay,and chia he loves it .

Mike

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
He's so cute and looking so much better! As said above, try dark leafy greens like curly kale and collard greens. Not too sure you should be feeding peppers, never heard that before.
How's he doing anyway? The water should be deep enough so that they can soak themselves but not so deep if they flip over they will drown.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Oh man, I just finish reading up on this post. I feel bad for the little man. First I want to say, I saw some blame the seller. As she said, the shipping got delayed so we can't really tell if it is the sell we'd fault. Aside from that, everyone already gave you really great advice! I mean wow... Mind blown! BOOM! Lol. Sounds like he/she is recovering and I wish you the best on your new journey with your new friend/family. Good luck and keep us posted!

Ps.
Don't be shy keep posting picture! I love, well, we love seeing pictures! Lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.