HELP! Is my baby horsefield dead?

keeleymai.k

Location (City and/or State)
London
So last night my Maggie was crawling around her enclosure perfectly normal and when I fed her this morning she was in the corner unresponsive. She’s stiff, warm and her eyes are sunken. My partner could hear her walking around at around 6am this morning too. She’s currently in a shallow water bath trying to get some sort of response out of her but I’m so confused she seemed healthy and was always bathing and drinking her water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow that's sad. Likely if the soak is not getting any response she is gone. But keep trying at least for today.
Check all temps in the enclosure to be sure something didn't go wrong there. Could anything have gotten to her, dog, cat?
So sorry.

keeleymai.k

London
Wow that's sad. Likely if the soak is not getting any response she is gone. But keep trying at least for today.
Check all temps in the enclosure to be sure something didn't go wrong there. Could anything have gotten to her, dog, cat?
So sorry.
Hi thanks
So sorry.
So sorry.
Hi thanks for the reply. I kept the viv temperatures at the exact ones the pet store lady told me too and no my dog couldn’t get to her as she was in the viv at all times and my dog wasn’t really interested in her. No idea what happened it was so sudden. Thank you :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What were the temps? Pet stores usually have no clue what the "proper" care is. A lot of vets, breeders and even zoo's don't either. They are all stuck on old outdated possibly deadly care
You could read our caresheet and see how much info they told you was wrong.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Really sorry we have had excessive temperatures could it have got too hot or not enough ventilation in the enclosure? Just really check and go to a vet for confirmation as they can go into a brumation state so look dead but not. Again very sorry.

keeleymai.k

London
No
So last night my Maggie was crawling around her enclosure perfectly normal and when I fed her this morning she was in the corner unresponsive. She’s stiff, warm and her eyes are sunken. My partner could hear her walking around at around 6am this morning too. She’s currently in a shallow water bath trying to get some sort of response out of her but I’m so confused she seemed healthy and was always bathing and drinking her water.
What were the temps? Pet stores usually have no clue what the "proper" care is. A lot of vets, breeders and even zoo's don't either. They are all stuck on old outdated possibly deadly care
On our thermometer there was a value “28” that she told us to keep it on I didn’t know what it meant but I didn’t change it in case it affected Maggie

keeleymai.k

London
Really sorry we have had excessive temperatures could it have got too hot or not enough ventilation in the enclosure? Just really check and go to a vet for confirmation as they can go into a brumation state so look dead but not. Again very sorry.
My partner likes to keep part of the door open to help keep it ventilated so I have no idea it’s really frazzled my brain :( I’m only 18 so I it’s really made me feel like it’s my fault
On our thermometer there was a value “28” that she told us to keep it on I didn’t know what it meant but I didn’t change it in case it affected

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They need a baskinh temp of 95-100F to be able to digest their food.
Over all temp that ranges from 75 to 80.
Then night temps should have all heat and lights turned off as long as the temp doesn't go below 60.
My guess so far with little info is not warm enough temps to digest the food.
Tortoises do everything slow, so this could have gone on for some time before it caught up with her. How long did you have her?

keeleymai.k

London
They need a baskinh temp of 95-100F to be able to digest their food.
Over all temp that ranges from 75 to 80.
Then night temps should have all heat and lights turned off as long as the temp doesn't go below 60.
My guess so far with little info is not warm enough temps to digest the food.
Tortoises do everything slow, so this could have gone on for some time before it caught up with her. How long did you have her?
Since May so only 2 months

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you decide to get another. Please do your research on this forum first. One of the important things to know is the correct temps the species needs and what the temps are in the enclosure.
You should have asked what they meant by the 28

keeleymai.k

London
If you decide to get another. Please do your research on this forum first. One of the important things to know is the correct temps the species needs and what the temps are in the enclosure.
You should have asked what they meant by the 28
I am only 18 so I did not realise the pet shop lady would’ve been incorrect I will not get another as I would not want anything like this to happen again :( thank you for your help and advice

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sorry for your loss I think best steps are confirm it is dead and If you decide on another then read the care sheet we have on here to check set up. They are very rewarding to keep and although not a good start it is worth trying again. Do not beat yourself up,. it may have had an underlying hidden issue. Take care.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am only 18 so I did not realise the pet shop lady would’ve been incorrect I will not get another as I would not want anything like this to happen again :( thank you for your help and advice
If you do your research on here and follow our caresheets and buy from a reputable breeder instead of a pet store you likely won't have this happen.
Sorry you found us too late. Sorry this happened.

keeleymai.k

London
Sorry for your loss I think best steps are confirm it is dead and If you decide on another then read the care sheet we have on here to check set up. They are very rewarding to keep and although not a good start it is worth trying again. Do not beat yourself up,. it may have had an underlying hidden issue. Take care.
Thank you so much I appreciate it, I think I’ll stick to dogs

keeleymai.k

London
If you do your research on here and follow our caresheets and buy from a reputable breeder instead of a pet store you likely won't have this happen.
Sorry you found us too late. Sorry this happened.
Thank you very much for your help