help keep them warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbs

5 Year Member
its almost winter here, and they are harsh. I just made my tort. table bigger and took in a 3year old sulcata, along with my 8month baby. How do i keep the tort table warm in the winter without using soo many bulbs?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Keeping them warm without using so many bulbs turn up the heat in the house just kidding have you thought abouta CHE or maybe a heat panel how big is the table?

abbs

5 Year Member
the table we just made is about.... 72x60. i dont want to use up too much electricity. the temperature is probably about 60 in the room.. and in its humidity room, about 85% hum but about 80 degrees.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
abbs said:
the table we just made is about.... 72x60. i dont want to use up too much electricity. the temperature is probably about 60 in the room.. and in its humidity room, about 85% hum but about 80 degrees.

can you post some pic's we would love to see it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I heat my house via a wood burning stove and it sometimes is pretty cold in the laundry room where my babies are. I just piece a couple pieces of aluminum foil together to make a larger sheet and cover the whole habitat, lights and all. This keeps the cold house air from rushing in and it keeps the warmed air in. I only have one light fixture on over each habitat. Then for night time, the bin sits on a mylar tape for keeping seedlings warm.

abbs

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I heat my house via a wood burning stove and it sometimes is pretty cold in the laundry room where my babies are. I just piece a couple pieces of aluminum foil together to make a larger sheet and cover the whole habitat, lights and all. This keeps the cold house air from rushing in and it keeps the warmed air in. I only have one light fixture on over each habitat. Then for night time, the bin sits on a mylar tape for keeping seedlings warm.

huh... thats a good idea(= thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dont heat the entire table, heat a sleepingbox on the table. mine are all outside. I dont hea the whole outdoors.. just the box the sleep in.
what are your plans when they get bigger? you will need to have them outside and it will take lots of electircity to keep them warm...

abbs

5 Year Member
Laura said:
dont heat the entire table, heat a sleepingbox on the table. mine are all outside. I dont hea the whole outdoors.. just the box the sleep in.
what are your plans when they get bigger? you will need to have them outside and it will take lots of electircity to keep them warm...

i plan on moving to where its warmer before they get thatt big, out west.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My strategy has always been to move all the reptiles into one small room and heat the whole room to whatever I want the ambient to be and then use heat lamps for day time. I found the oil heaters to be the most efficient way to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.