help! leo arrived in box upside down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
and has been breathing heavily since. he arrived at my house in spfld, ma at 11am after being shipped from new jersey around 6pm last night. when he got here, he was upside down in his box ): so after a soak and outting him in his enclosure, i notice he's breathing rather heavily. enough that his legs and head are coming out of his shell when he breathes. should this be any reason for concern? and here's a picture, more to come!

Attachments

• jyfu.png
    jyfu.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 116

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Maybe not too much for concern...they do breath heavily like that when stressed which could be due to him being in a new surrounding. Give him a little bit of time and see if he calms down. Try to leave him alone as much as you can and observe him from a distance, that may help him calm down.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Neal said:
Maybe not too much for concern...they do breath heavily like that when stressed which could be due to him being in a new surrounding. Give him a little bit of time and see if he calms down. Try to leave him alone as much as you can and observe him from a distance, that may help him calm down.

Agree with Neal ;)
Keep us update.
His color make me think to my high yellow male.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Neal said:

yeah, i figured that was all i could do anyways. i did take him out when i got home from work (i hadn't seen him yet!) and right away he came out of his shell and starting scooting around :D so he just needs some rest and relaxation, i'm sure being upside down is not fun ):

Julius25 said:
Agree with Neal ;)
Keep us update.
His color make me think to my high yellow male.

yeah, he's beautiful actually! the yellow is almost white! he does have some pyramiding, but his previous owner did the best he could and he's a healthy looking tort in every other aspect!

stinax182

5 Year Member
well, it's been a couple hours and he's scooted around his house a lot, eaten a bit of dandelion and sat in his water dish. but i would say it looks like....he's swallowing repeatedly or has the hiccups?? does that make sense? when he's out of his shell his throat goes in and out. i don't know how to describe it.....like how a frog ribbits? hahah anyone have anything on that?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He looks fantastic! The throat going in and out is normal for tortoises. He should be settling in nicely within the next day or so. Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.