Help, Leo's got some red eyes!

CarterEvan

Hello!

My name is Carter and this is my very first post on here so I'm sorry if this isn't correct or if this thread is in the wrong place.

I recently bought a leopard tortoise hatchling from tortoise supply and he came in great shape. However, since being here, he has developed slightly red and puffy eyes. I looked online and think this has to do with my UVB bulb and that he has overexposure. Is this because of the coil bulb and the fact that I leave it on for around 14 hours a day?

Also his habitat is at 80 degrees average with a 95 degree basking spot and at 70% humidity with an Orchard bark substrate.

Can anyone please tell me what they think might be wrong with him??

Thanks in advance!

CarterEvan

Thanks Jodie! I have turned it off after reading your advice and am going to look into those options.

CarterEvan

No, when i checked on him this morning his eyes were still red. I'm going to leave it off longer to see if i notice a difference. He also scratches at his eyes with his arms on occasion so i think that may have something to do with it too. Thanks for your help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No, when i checked on him this morning his eyes were still red. I'm going to leave it off longer to see if i notice a difference. He also scratches at his eyes with his arms on occasion so i think that may have something to do with it too. Thanks for your help!
Yes. Throw that bulb away!
The damage that it can do, once done is permanent.
I had no idea that you were still using it at all.

CarterEvan

Yes. Throw that bulb away!
The damage that it can do, once done is permanent.
I had no idea that you were still using it at all.
I wasn't! as soon as the first person replied i took it out and haven't turned it on since. Im going to get a Mercury Vapor Bulb today. Will the redness around his eyes go down do you think or is this irreversible?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No. If it was the light. (And I think it was) He should recover because you caught it in time.
Soak him and keep him warm. They're pretty tough creatures.

CarterEvan

Alright thanks! If he isn't better in a couple days I will probably take him to the vet.

CarterEvan

Alright ill have a look at my local vets and see which ones are the most experienced with tortoises

Alaskamike

South Florida
You can get some ophthalmic cream for the eyes and this may help. You don'y need an Rx for it, I ordered some off a pet supply web site and have used it several times since on a box, and my Sulcata. Eye irritation is common, and can idnicate a much deeper problem like immune system compromise, but it can also be simple irritation, and clear up on its own.

I error on the side of caution and apply the cream and watch. It has worked for me.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Be aware of vets. Do not let them give a vitamin A shot to your tortoise.

CarterEvan

Thanks everyone for the help! It looks to me like his redness is fading and hopefully it'll be gone by tomorrow!