Help: little bubble coming from her left nose hole.

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

When I woke up to check on my 1 year old russian tortoise I saw a a little bit of clear watery discharge coming her her left nose hole. I panicked ofcourse and feared for a RI disease. I gave her a warm soak of 30 minutes and hanged her 80W MVB lower to increase the temps. After the soak I put her back. 5 minutes later I came back to check on her, and I see this tiny little bubble coming from her left nose.

Some facts:
- Its a tiny little bubble that is clear watery, not yellow green muscus stuff.
- No change in behaviour. Still eating and pooping, moving around during her soak, reacts to my movement etc.
- I moved her to a bigger enclosure 2 days ago, but switched her back to her old one because I was having issues with the lightning and substrate. She will get back to her new and bigger enclosure this week soon when I've bought a new and better MVB.
- So I moved her back to her old enclosure, but I made some changes like this big hide that takes lots of space, so her current enclosure is a bit cramped right now. Could it be that she is stressed because of all the sudden changes that leads to her snotty nose?
- I also refreshed her substrate, but it's a bit too moist than that it should be.
- Her substrate is coco coir, temps are 100F basking, warm side 80-85F, cool side 70F, night a bit under 70F. Her enclosure is open.
- Also, I must say that I'm a horrible tortoise owner for constantly picked her up lately. But I only do that to check if theres something odd about her.
Someone that can help me with this issue? I really hope that this bubble is something innocent, and requires no vet visit.

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I would bump her temps up, and keep an eye on her for a week or so. Then go to the vet if no improvement. Soak daily for a while. Make sure the water stays warm.