Help :( Lost Russian Tortoise in a Townhouse Neighborhood!!!

Ok so first thing first. We live in a townhouse area, so first hint should be, no big backyard (or if any), lots of houses, lots of roads, and worst of all... Sewer Drains! Ok so inside I have a cage for my Russian Tortoise Shelldy and every day I put him outside in a little pen I have for him (nothing much, but theirs grass inside so he is happy). One day though he escaped, and I was at the fitness center working out, and when I get home my mom told me the news that he is missing and her and a bunch of neighbors looked everywhere! No where to be found! We even had my neighbors dogs help as well. Me obviously I didnt think they looked well at all, so I looked outside at 10:00 PM (All I had was my phones flashlight) and I had no luck. Me and my mom are going to wake up early tomorrow (Technically this morning cause its 3:11 AM) and look for him in the daylight. Will he be ok out their on his own :( Any helpful tips :(

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Crawl on your hands and knees, check along the edges of the buildings, bushes rocks etc. he will want to come out in the sunshine in the morning. Put up signs and knock on doors all through the neighborhood. Don't give up, sometimes they're gone for days or even weeks and then show up.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hopefully you find your little one, I would try placing 'treats' strawberries etc around the area and pen. hopefully your tort knows the pen is a source of food and returns. fingers crossed for you

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Good idea on the treats, if yours is anything like mine hell come out for any kind of food, especially if it's his favorite! But of its cold where you are right now at night he may be hiding somewhere to keep warm for the night, he's probably definatley asleep somewhere.
Do you have raccoons near you? If so that's one thing that I would worry about at night.
I hope you find him real soon or that he returns on his own!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to have heard you lost your tort. Hope to hear in your next post something different like: 'Hurray! I've found him!' Treats are a good idea, and keep looking for him- do not give up. Good luck!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ok so first thing first. We live in a townhouse area, so first hint should be, no big backyard (or if any), lots of houses, lots of roads, and worst of all... Sewer Drains! Ok so inside I have a cage for my Russian Tortoise Shelldy and every day I put him outside in a little pen I have for him (nothing much, but theirs grass inside so he is happy). One day though he escaped, and I was at the fitness center working out, and when I get home my mom told me the news that he is missing and her and a bunch of neighbors looked everywhere! No where to be found! We even had my neighbors dogs help as well. Me obviously I didnt think they looked well at all, so I looked outside at 10:00 PM (All I had was my phones flashlight) and I had no luck. Me and my mom are going to wake up early tomorrow (Technically this morning cause its 3:11 AM) and look for him in the daylight. Will he be ok out their on his own :( Any helpful tips :(
Very sorry to have just read you lost your tort.

Hopefully you will find him. Treats are a good idea. And don't give up-keep looking for him. Hope to hear you've found him next time you post something and....GOOD LUCK!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
im in the uk and our wee fella is housed indoors. be sure to look around borders and and remember he/she might not appear untill its a bit warmer to bask

Well its the morning and my mom looked this morning and no luck. Im planning on looking later today near the afternoon. Hopefully I'll at least find a trace of him. Also if anyone could answer me this. How loud can a Russian Tortoise talk? Last night while I couldnt sleep I had my window open and I heard a noise.
The scary thing is that it sounded like that. I went outside to investigate and nothing... Could I have imagined it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They don't usually vocalize unless during breeding. I doubt what you heard was your tortoise, as they sleep when it's dark.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
stay hopeful and dont give up, i've read of torts being found weeks later. perhaps make up some missing posters?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I wish you luck. My only escapee was actually found two days later trying to break BACK into his pen for his favorite food.
Keep in mind that he's not running away, he's just exploring. His actions are 100% instinctual. He will search out good food. So have some nearby.
And yes. Tell every neighborhood kid that there is a cash reward. Maybe ten bucks. Kids are great at finding things.