Help! (Louisiana Turtle Rescue?)

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Hi everyone... I have a Central American Ornate Wood Turtle that I have had for about two months. I got him from a well known place on the internet. I think that he was wild caught from the way he acts. He acts very unhappy and stressed. My heart is breaking for him. Does anyone know of a rescue place in Louisiana? I paid $75 for him, but I certainly don't want him unhappy! That isn't fair to him.

theresal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Terrytown,LA
RE: Help!

I hope you find him a good home. I will ask around in the area but off hand I don't know anyone with wood turtles.

And we don't have many reputable reptile rescues in the state. Most of the ones I have researched in Louisiana sadly turn out to be reptile flippers.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone... I have a Central American Ornate Wood Turtle that I have had for about two months. I got him from a well known place on the internet. I think that he was wild caught from the way he acts. He acts very unhappy and stressed.

I would just accept that while he may have been wild at one time he likely will not be safely placed back in the wild (not safe for him nor for the wild population)....with this you may want to resolve to offer him time and as much space as you can to allow him to acclimate...this is one hazard that can be present when wild animals are removed from their environment (I am not coming down on you--simply sharing) and placed into the "pet" market.

I think you need to also remember that any tort or turtle can take a long time to adjust under the best of circumstances....so I think that if you can work through your normal human emotions that you give the little one some time to adjust and be patient and attentive to his needs while he is doing so...you know what I mean?

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
I found a wonderful home for my little guy. I am so happy and hopeful for his new life. A wonderful lady, who is very experienced with torts and turtles, was exstatic to open her home to him. He will be in an outside enclosure with plenty of room and less stress. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and offers for help.
Let me give you a little background info on him and you may can understand the reason that I was so anxious that he moved to a home with no stress ( I am a teacher, so he was in my classroom everyday.)
I ordered him from a place on the internet (well known). He was shipped to me by the USPostal service. There was no announcement that there was any type animal inside. He was not shipped overnight. The post office had no idea what the package was, except for the fact that I went to them and explained the situation and how nervous that I was. They called me after hours because they found a package for me. It was an extremely small box. The turtle was inside of a sack inside of an envelope inside of the box!!!!! Someone had cut some airholes inside of the envelope. Poor baby!!!! I am so upset with the seller and the way this turtle was treated. Hopefully now you understand.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
If this seller is as well-known as you say they are, you should let this forum know so we can all know to avoid them in the future. There is a sub-forum to review vendors, I suggest you do it there.