Help make sure that I have everything!

Mrr

Location (City and/or State)
Abbotsford
Hey guys,

So I'll be ordering my first ever pet tortoise this weekend - a hatchling Hermanns tortoise, and I want to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything for when she arrives.

For her enclosure... She's quite small still, so my plan is to keep her in my ball pythons rubbermaid tub (obviously not together, my ball python is fully grown and due for an upgrade so she'll be moving into a bigger pvc enclosure).. She'll be housed there until she gets a tad bigger, then I'll be converting an old 5 tier bookshelf into a tortoise table type set up.

For the substrate I've got Eco Earth coco fiber, which I plan to mix with either repti bark or cypress mulch.

I have a few old hides that will easily work for her. And I'll be picking up plants/other decor after work today

I have a lamp with a 75 watt bulb, attached to a dimmer switch and a 12 hour timer, as well as a temperature gun that I use for all of my reptiles. I'm picking up the uvb bulb today too. My question here is.. does it have to be a long tube style bulb or can it be a normal uvb light bulb?

I have a food and water dish, and I'm grabbing calcium powder while out grabbing extra decor. Are any other supplements needed?

Am I forgetting anything? I can't help but feel like something is missing, and I'd rather not find that out after I bring her home ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tube type UVB bulbs ONLY.
Not only are the coiled/ compact CFL bulbs useless, they're often harmful. And most shops won't give refunds on electronics.
You'll need a T5 HO strip florescent UV.
They cost $50 to $60 tube and fixture together... but itll be well spent money.

Attachments

• 20200111_161722.jpg
    20200111_161722.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Mrr

Abbotsford
Tube type UVB bulbs ONLY.
Not only are the coiled/ compact CFL bulbs useless, they're often harmful. And most shops won't give refunds on electronics.
You'll need a T5 HO strip florescent UV.
They cost $50 to $60 tube and fixture together... but itll be well spent money.
Thank you for chiming in! I've read about the coil bulbs, but I wasn't too sure on the style of uvb light. I'll try to express order one from Amazon tonight if possible. I'm just worried it may arrive a little late. If it did, would that harm the tortoise to wait a day or two?

Is there anything else you can think of that I've left out?

Mrr

Abbotsford
Perfect. I should have one soon, I just don't always trust shipping times. Thank you again!

Mrr

Abbotsford
In fact, if he can get some outdoors sunshine. You can go without a supplemental UV light for a very long time.
Its a tad chilly here right now, but I might be able to swing that. How much time outdoors per day do you think?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Looks like you’ve done your research! Your little hermann’s will definitely be able to thrive.