Help making sense of my lost tortoise

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
My Hermann’s tortoise went missing yesterday between 3pm - 7pm. It was a hotter day than usual here in western Washington state USA, around 87F-90F (30C-32C). There are 2 possibilities I can think of:

1) He escaped his enclosure. This is unlikely because we built the enclosure to be very difficult to escape. He’s never come close to getting out. And, he never ever roams the perimeter or attempts to find a way to escape. Also, there are no signs of escape… except his hide was rotated slightly. Which may be odd but he is known to bulldoze/move his hides so it’s not out of the ordinary. However, maybe his moved hide explains the 2nd possibility:

2) A predator took him. How likely is it that an animal was able to snatch him from under his hide without leaving any marks, any kicked up dirt, any majorly displaced decorations? There was no sign of struggle. I don’t think the ducks are large enough or have enough interest to take him. We see raccoons but they’re nocturnal and rarely come near the house. When they do, it’s always past 11pm and our security cameras pick up their movement and start recording. From the time we last saw our tortoise to the time we discovered his disappearance, the cameras did not record any animals nearby. So that challenges the predator theory

What are your thoughts? Regardless of the circumstances, what can I do? I’ve searched under every shrub, tree, bush, etc that I can manage. Called local pet stores and animal shelters asking about recently admitted tortoises. We’ve dug up his enclosure hoping to find him burrowed underneath. We put out a bunch of his favorite food in multiple areas in hopes that he’ll come back and we’ll find him munching. What else can we do? What are the odds that he’s still alive and that we’ll find him or he’ll come to us?

OliveW

Branford, FL
I'm so sorry. I hope there turns out to be a happy ending for you.

May I ask how big your tortoise is, please?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Someone took him?
His hide was rotated by the varmit that took him? Coon? Fox? Cat? Dog?
Let neighbors know he is missing. Call local vets and animal rescues and even pet stores and let them know.
Keep looking in the morning once the sun comes out for about an hour. He will need to bask and warm up.
Good luck. Don't stop looking. Many have been found months even year later.
Also keep checking Craigslist.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My bet - your tortoise simply climbed out of the enclosure.

You posted a picture of the new enclosure a few months ago. To me, and someone who replied to that post back then, it does look like it would be easy for a tortoise to escape from that enclosure. Testudo are very good climbers. I've seen pictures of them climbing a chain link fence. The enclosure pictured has many areas I would be certain a tortoise could climb its way out easily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He actually did climb out. They are really good at that. I had a Russian that climbed a tree.
Someone took him?
His hide was rotated by the varmit that took him? Coon? Fox? Cat? Dog?
Let neighbors know he is missing. Call local vets and animal rescues and even pet stores and let them know.
Keep looking in the morning once the sun comes out for about an hour. He will need to bask and warm up.
Good luck. Don't stop looking. Many have been found months even year later.
Also keep checking Craigslist.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Many lost torts are eventually found, or they come home on their own.

I would suggest printing up flyers and putting them around the neighborhood.

Another tactic that has worked is getting the neighborhood children involved. Gather them together and let them know that there is a reward for the kid who finds him.

As Wellington said, watch in the morning at the time he would be basking. Don't forget to look carefully OUTSIDE of the fence...he could be under a bush there. When you check under bushes, look for a slight mound of leaf litter, grass...whatever is there. My tort will hide himself underneath and is impossible to see. Reach an arm in and feel around.

Some sulcatas manage to get pretty far away from home depending on how long they've been loose. One member said his tort was 2 miles away. He was found by children.

But from the accounts of lost and found torts here on the forum, I believe the large majority are found on their own property or very close by. A neighbor may find him walking up their driveway, or lounging in their garden.

Just don't stop looking...persistance pays off!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Hermann’s tortoise went missing yesterday between 3pm - 7pm. It was a hotter day than usual here in western Washington state USA, around 87F-90F (30C-32C). There are 2 possibilities I can think of:

1) He escaped his enclosure. This is unlikely because we built the enclosure to be very difficult to escape. He’s never come close to getting out. And, he never ever roams the perimeter or attempts to find a way to escape. Also, there are no signs of escape… except his hide was rotated slightly. Which may be odd but he is known to bulldoze/move his hides so it’s not out of the ordinary. However, maybe his moved hide explains the 2nd possibility:

2) A predator took him. How likely is it that an animal was able to snatch him from under his hide without leaving any marks, any kicked up dirt, any majorly displaced decorations? There was no sign of struggle. I don’t think the ducks are large enough or have enough interest to take him. We see raccoons but they’re nocturnal and rarely come near the house. When they do, it’s always past 11pm and our security cameras pick up their movement and start recording. From the time we last saw our tortoise to the time we discovered his disappearance, the cameras did not record any animals nearby. So that challenges the predator theory

What are your thoughts? Regardless of the circumstances, what can I do? I’ve searched under every shrub, tree, bush, etc that I can manage. Called local pet stores and animal shelters asking about recently admitted tortoises. We’ve dug up his enclosure hoping to find him burrowed underneath. We put out a bunch of his favorite food in multiple areas in hopes that he’ll come back and we’ll find him munching. What else can we do? What are the odds that he’s still alive and that we’ll find him or he’ll come to us?
Can we see pics of the enclosure? That will give us clues.

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
Thanks for everyone’s replies. This is helpful.
28C2D8B9-44EF-4A24-B05D-DDA27BF9CA69.jpeg
This is his enclosure. The miniature white fencing was so easy to escape so a day later we removed it and used the wood that you see marked in red. 8’ and 4’ lengths of wood that were linked together by the cinder blocks surrounding the entire perimeter. It’s been 2 months and since then he has never tried escaping, gotten close, or roamed the perimeter.

There is also now a raised 4’ garden bed where the blue line is. This was to provide shade.

The black arch was sectioned off with tall chicken wire which in hindsight was a bad idea because I have seen tortoises climb those. But I never witnessed him attempt it even once. It’s like it never existed to him.

The purple arrow is the hide that was partially moved when we noticed his absence. This is an old picture; since then it’s been moved forward to keep away from the wall. This hide is where he hangs out the most after 3pm (around the time we last saw him. He was in this very spot). He often sleeps there

@Tom @KarenSoCal @wellington @Markw84 @OliveW

He is 5-7 inches / 12-18cm in length.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any corners they can scale.
It's really hard to say. Mine climbed straight up a tree.
Just keep looking, checking CL and notify everyone I mentioned.
Good luck.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's a big enclosure with a lot of things he could burrow under. I would first wet the entire enclosure and take everything out including the blocks and flower pots. Dig deep and carefully.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Looking at your pic could he have got on top of the hide and escaped on rear fence it could have moved due to his persistence. They love to burrow so look under all bushes or canopy plants in the garden. I had to rake and dig to get one of mine out before and they leave hardly any sign! Provide fresh food and water in the enclosure and garden and then check if it has been eaten. Also check early morning to see if he has appeared to bask in morning sun. Look for white urate. They are escape artists so what you think is safe will be tested and pushed to the limit "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".
Informing neighbours is good and asking them to check under their plants etc...
Hope he turns up for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for everyone’s replies. This is helpful.
View attachment 349228
This is his enclosure. The miniature white fencing was so easy to escape so a day later we removed it and used the wood that you see marked in red. 8’ and 4’ lengths of wood that were linked together by the cinder blocks surrounding the entire perimeter. It’s been 2 months and since then he has never tried escaping, gotten close, or roamed the perimeter.

There is also now a raised 4’ garden bed where the blue line is. This was to provide shade.

The black arch was sectioned off with tall chicken wire which in hindsight was a bad idea because I have seen tortoises climb those. But I never witnessed him attempt it even once. It’s like it never existed to him.

The purple arrow is the hide that was partially moved when we noticed his absence. This is an old picture; since then it’s been moved forward to keep away from the wall. This hide is where he hangs out the most after 3pm (around the time we last saw him. He was in this very spot). He often sleeps there

@Tom @KarenSoCal @wellington @Markw84 @OliveW

He is 5-7 inches / 12-18cm in length.
I can see multiple ways that any tortoise could easily climb out of there. Using that sort of see through fencing will make them want to try. You need a full visual barrier made of something smooth that doesn't allow a foot hold, at least 16 inches high all the way around.

I hope you find him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's a big enclosure with a lot of things he could burrow under. I would first wet the entire enclosure and take everything out including the blocks and flower pots. Dig deep and carefully.
Oh my!!! One of you just gave great advice! I also thought he's buried...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I baby sat a Russian tortoise that climbed up and over a four foot high plywood wall.
I watched him do it.
That being said, most of these stories end well. Hopefully yours will also.
I'd do just like you have. Place food out so it's visible

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
I can see multiple ways that any tortoise could easily climb out of there. Using that sort of see through fencing will make them want to try. You need a full visual barrier made of something smooth that doesn't allow a foot hold, at least 16 inches high all the way around.

I hope you find him.
Thanks Tom.

As I said in the text underneath the picture, we replaced the white see-through fencing with large, long sections of wood held together by cinder blocks. He couldn’t see through the wood, he stopped patrolling the perimeter, and he never attempted to get over it. Which is why I’m trying to make sense of the situation. I don’t understand how he got a foothold and got over the planks of wood. But maybe he got creative

OliveW

Branford, FL
Seeing the enclosure is quite reassuring. I'd bet he got out. Even if the little fence was replaced by wood, the cinder blocks between them are low enough that if something were near enough, he could have gone over that way.

My original first thought was that bird of prey got him. Now I think he's just an escapee, and I have a feeling he will turn up. Like others have said, put up flyers with his picture around the neighborhood, talk to all the neighbors so they will know you are missing him. He's likely close by, blending in well.

Attractive food all around, and hopefully over the weekend, you're able to stalk the food piles! My tortoise doesn't get up until 10:00 am, but I'm sure you know yours' schedule.

Best of luck!

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
Seeing the enclosure is quite reassuring. I'd bet he got out. Even if the little fence was replaced by wood, the cinder blocks between them are low enough that if something were near enough, he could have gone over that way.

My original first thought was that bird of prey got him. Now I think he's just an escapee, and I have a feeling he will turn up. Like others have said, put up flyers with his picture around the neighborhood, talk to all the neighbors so they will know you are missing him. He's likely close by, blending in well.

Attractive food all around, and hopefully over the weekend, you're able to stalk the food piles! My tortoise doesn't get up until 10:00 am, but I'm sure you know yours' schedule.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the encouraging words.

For anyone wondering, here’s what the walls currently look like (I’ve removed all the decor while searching for him). The walls and cinder blocks measure anywhere from 9 inches to 11 inches high (23cm to 28cm) depending on the height of the dirt
60EABED7-64F4-4EC0-AD72-CFA45BA2058A.jpeg
This is the area that he was last seen. The height between the top of the hide and the top of the wall is about 4 inches / 10cm. The hide was probably higher than this. I tried my best to put the dirt back and place the hide to get a rough idea. @Tom
image.jpg