Help me build a sustainable ecosystem

ArabHerd

Location (City and/or State)
Lebanon
Sooo I wana build a self sustaining ecosystem for about 4 tortoises, I had in mind of getting a 90 cm by 90 cm pot fill it with clean solid and then pebels on top and put some marijuana plants in there and some basil maybe mint 2 and lastly letuce and a small water source like a plastic bowl under the soil so they can drink ik ik they don’t drink but why not what u guys think

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I'm not sure if it's a translation problem...*marijuana* is the psychoactive Artemesia species...I do not know if tortoises metabolize THC. I would choose non-psychoactive Artemesias (vulgaris, annua, etc.), though I'm not sure the harsh flavor is something torts enjoy.

Most tortoise species do not care for mint or basil; lettuces have a high water content, but minimal nutrients. If your pets like them, that's fine, but you need more nutritive plants.

What species are you feeding?

If you can access members of the Chicory family, that will be better: dandelion, chicory, endives, escarole.

Tortoises love a garden (and sometimes they enjoy wrecking a garden lol)!

ArabHerd

Lebanon
I'm not sure if it's a translation problem...*marijuana* is the psychoactive Artemesia species...I do not know if tortoises metabolize THC. I would choose non-psychoactive Artemesias (vulgaris, annua, etc.), though I'm not sure the harsh flavor is something torts enjoy.

Most tortoise species do not care for mint or basil; lettuces have a high water content, but minimal nutrients. If your pets like them, that's fine, but you need more nutritive plants.

What species are you feeding?

If you can access members of the Chicory family, that will be better: dandelion, chicory, endives, escarole.

Tortoises love a garden (and sometimes they enjoy wrecking a garden lol)!
Ahhh I see, I try feed them stuff like potato skins after I clean them and a bit of grapes there just sooo choosy and cucumbers all they want is letuce they drive me insane with food anyway I got 2 huge tubs tubs like pots there literlly pots but size of tubs gona attach them together and get started on project tmrow the idea is to make is self sustaining that means there poops is fertilizer for plants the plants r food for them

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Ahhh I see, I try feed them stuff like potato skins after I clean them and a bit of grapes there just sooo choosy and cucumbers all they want is letuce they drive me insane with food anyway I got 2 huge tubs tubs like pots there literlly pots but size of tubs gona attach them together and get started on project tmrow the idea is to make is self sustaining that means there poops is fertilizer for plants the plants r food for them
In order for their waste to break down, the soil needs to be bio-active. That is, there need to be bacteria, mold, and even live wee beasts (isopods, collembola, earthworms) that eat and digest foods into components plants can absorb. Captive animals living in close contact with their waste can develop infections, so make sure the system works and the stool disappears within a day of dropping.

If you want to top-dress with stones, choose ones that are larger than the tort's heads so they cannot be swallowed.

Be sure that the habitat is placed where there will be enough shade over part of it throughout the day.

To get more specific info about foods, let us know what species of tort you have.

Post photos to get more specific advice as your project develops!

ArabHerd

Lebanon
In order for their waste to break down, the soil needs to be bio-active. That is, there need to be bacteria, mold, and even live wee beasts (isopods, collembola, earthworms) that eat and digest foods into components plants can absorb. Captive animals living in close contact with their waste can develop infections, so make sure the system works and the stool disappears within a day of dropping.

If you want to top-dress with stones, choose ones that are larger than the tort's heads so they cannot be swallowed.

Be sure that the habitat is placed where there will be enough shade over part of it throughout the day.

To get more specific info about foods, let us know what species of tort you have.

Post photos to get more specific advice as your project develops!
I see we’ll I got my pots right now I’m Welding a tunnel between the 2 and making them into 1 I got the soil it’s sanitized all I need now is plants to plot and worms where tf do I get worms from

ArabHerd

Lebanon
Doneee took me 2 days but iz done what u guys think

Attachments

• 7F6310DA-22C0-4725-895A-1F65E1496C3F.jpeg
    7F6310DA-22C0-4725-895A-1F65E1496C3F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Since you are on here looking for help & input, Im looking at your enclosure now & that looks way too small for one tortoise, let alone three. I see you have Geraniums planted & some cabbage/brussel sprout type of plants (both ok to feed). But I’m wondering about the pink gravel? Torts are very apt to just eat that gravel as food. Lastly, you have their water dish stuck off way in one corner.

I’m hoping that you can make this much, much, much larger. If you are going to use connected flower boxes, id say add 10 more if you can.

Good luck

ArabHerd

Lebanon
Greetings. Since you are on here looking for help & input, Im looking at your enclosure now & that looks way too small for one tortoise, let alone three. I see you have Geraniums planted & some cabbage/brussel sprout type of plants (both ok to feed). But I’m wondering about the pink gravel? Torts are very apt to just eat that gravel as food. Lastly, you have their water dish stuck off way in one corner.

I’m hoping that you can make this much, much, much larger. If you are going to use connected flower boxes, id say add 10 more if you can.

Good luck
Man I live in a third world country you know how much that cost me almost 40 dollars that’s half of what a person makes in a month in my country, ur def right il make another enclosure and split my turtles but for now this will have to do