Help Me Choose My First Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania z6
futureleopardtortoise said:
As far as I know, the reason that the ones with "scute issues" are less expensive is because they aren't breeding perfection, but unless you are planning on breeding you tort, it's not a big deal.

No problem with scute issues, they mean nothing genetically, and appear due to incubation conditions. Unclear causes, but "excessive" heat by itself is not the cause. Animals with scute anomalies can be very well perfect breeders.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I've always read that, once again, brumation really only matters if you plan on breeding. I never do, so I don't plan on taking the risk.

Actually that also does not seem to be the case. They breed just fine without having a brumation time.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
SWDK said:
Well I'm happy to report that I'll soon be a proud new owner to one of Edna's eastern Hermanns. I decided on the first one pictured in her thread. Thank you jacqui for letting me know about Edna's torts. Thank you Edna for being an absolute pleasure to work with.

Excellent choice (and, no, I'm NOT unduly prejudiced in favor of the Eastern Hermann's...I also like Iberians and hope to get a quartet of Egyptions some day! :).

May you and your new friend share many happy and healthby years together! :cool:

Jacqui said:
I've always read that, once again, brumation really only matters if you plan on breeding. I never do, so I don't plan on taking the risk.

Actually that also does not seem to be the case. They breed just fine without having a brumation time.

There's an argument that a brumated female will lay more eggs, but I'm not positive that there's any concrete proof of this idea.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Thanks everyone for all the help right from day 1. I've been on other forums where new members with the same old noob questions are cast aside. I'm really happy I found this forum and the great bunch of people on here. It's making my venture into becoming a tortoise owner that much more fun knowing I have people I can count on to point me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.