Help me decide what is less stressful for my Sulcata

kjr153

5 Year Member
We're going out of town soon. We will only be gone Friday, Saturday and return on Sunday. My Sulcata has live Aloe and Spider plants in the enclosure that it can eat. I don't know if I should take it or leave it home. I will leave the CHE plugged in but I would not leave the light bulb or the Reptifogger going. Which means it will be low humidity. It will be some what light in the enclosure during the day. I don't know what to do. It is no trouble for me to take the Tort but I don't know if it would be less stress on it to just leave it at home.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
You can put everything on timers and have a trusted person come in to feed your tort while you are gone. That's what I do and I travel a lot. Having your tort stay home in their enclosure and their surroundings is best

kjr153

5 Year Member
I don't have timers or a person to stop by. :) Thanks for the idea though.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Can you check into a boarding facility?

kjr153

5 Year Member
I would just take the Tortoise before I did all of that. I can take it, no problem. I am just asking what is less stress for the Tortoise. Not having soaks and humidity for two days or traveling in the car and being moved around.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think he will be less stressed at home. The timers are a good idea. To keep humidity up you could hang a few wet or damp bath towels in that room and have one end of his substrate wetter than normal before you leave. If you have a humid hide that should stay fairly humid over the 2 days you are gone.

Missing one days food would not be unusual for a wild tort and will not harm your tort.

Travel is very stressful and cold and drafty for torts. Just judge by the number of torts that poo while riding in a car.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A light timer will cost less than $10. Get a spineless opuntia cactus pad and leave it in there. It will last for days and he can nibble on it all he wants.

You should have a light timer anyway. I prefer the digital ones. They will hold their settings even after the power goes out and they don't make any noise like the dial type ones.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Staying home is less stressful. Like Tom said, a spineless cactus will last a few days and perhaps its fruit too. Depending on the fogger you have, if you leave and it's just been filled with distilled water, it will give one days worth of humidity. So, for the other day, you may want to add a container of water where your torts can't get to, because it will slowly evaporate inside the enclosure. That's another way to get humidity up. But, buying a timer for heat and light is a must!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The way you describe leaving the tort is going to be aok....you will leave the CHE on so the tort will not chill...leave some water and a huge pile of food (perhaps a couple spots and spritz it with water) and he will be fine....he is not a roll over dude right?

To be honest, if you are going to be gone for two entire days and did nothing at all except CHE and water....the tort would still be fine....and very eager and happy to see the food fairy when you return :D

The tort will be absolutely less stressed remaining in his home at your home :D

kjr153

5 Year Member
I figured she/he would be less stressed out by staying home but I just felt bad. It hasn't rolled over in a long time. That is my biggest fear when leaving it home alone though.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I take mine with me but that is my paranoia. I also have a home for them where I travel so they go from the car into their vacation home. They never even miss a meal and in fct, they have been known to actually eat while we are in the car. My box turtles on the other hand, stay home with a timer and a paint tray filled with water and a tub of red wigglers turned loose in their enclosure and a hand full of boiled chicken and fruits in their food dish.
Timers are $10 for the single outlet and about $15 for the multi plug. Even if you never go out of town again they are a good idea. For example, you can put the mister/humidifier on the timer to go off every hour for 15 minutes if you want to. And if you ever find yourself unable to get home for some reason, they stay on schedule. It is a win win and takes about 5 minutes to set up.