Help Me ID This Tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OperaticAddict

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clermont, FL

IMG_0026.jpg

My friend almost ran over this little guy crossing the street in a really metropolitan section in TN. He saved him & took him home for safe keeping so he wouldn't get killed in traffic but doesn't know anything about him/her. Does anyone know what kind of tortoise this is?

Thanx On His Behalf!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Box turtle, though the specific species escapes me at the moment.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Eastern Box turtle. It appears to have an abscessed ear - it needs a vet if that is the case. Is there a hard swelling on the side of the head?

OperaticAddict

5 Year Member
Clermont, FL
dmmj said:
Box turtle, though the specific species escapes me at the moment.

Thanx dmmj!

Kristina said:
Eastern Box turtle. It appears to have an abscessed ear - it needs a vet if that is the case. Is there a hard swelling on the side of the head?

Thanx Kristina, I will shoot him a text & try & find out about the ear. Is there anything he can do for the ear if it is abscessed without having to take him to the vet?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No. It needs to be cut and the hardened pus removed, and antibiotics given.

If he can't take it to a vet, have him try to find a licensed wildlife rehabilitator to take it to.

OperaticAddict

5 Year Member
Clermont, FL
Kristina said:
No. It needs to be cut and the hardened pus removed, and antibiotics given.

If he can't take it to a vet, have him try to find a licensed wildlife rehabilitator to take it to.

Thanx...will let him know!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Poor little guy, Saying that, I had a guy bring in a script elegans, it came out of hibernation with one bad eye,
The guy didn't bother getting him seen to, so when he brought the poor fella it was all hard puss, I didn't need to give anesthetic, as I just wiped it with some saline solution and it all came out.

Hence the poor fella was left with only one eye, he seemed to have a skin condition also, so I told him to give soaks with salty water then put iodine on it, I think it could be some sort of parasite.

OperaticAddict

5 Year Member
Clermont, FL
bikerchicspain said:
Poor little guy, Saying that, I had a guy bring in a script elegans, it came out of hibernation with one bad eye,
The guy didn't bother getting him seen to, so when he brought the poor fella it was all hard puss, I didn't need to give anesthetic, as I just wiped it with some saline solution and it all came out.

Hence the poor fella was left with only one eye, he seemed to have a skin condition also, so I told him to give soaks with salty water then put iodine on it, I think it could be some sort of parasite.

Thanx Yvonne...I will forward that along!

Status
Not open for further replies.