Help me identify my tortoise. Found him/her near my business site.

M

Maggie Cummings

Balance her on a big jar or something so her legs are hanging down not touching anything. After she calms down her head will come out and you can snap a picture of her face. That way you're not holding her and making her uncomfortable....

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Can anyone tell me the Latin name so that I can talk with you :-D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I will upload more pics in the morning. Difficult to take any good pic as it goes in its shell if i come closer. Have to stay still and let him/her get out of shell and move. And when it has gone a bit far i get up and make some sound and it goes back in.

You see....difficult to take a good pic.

I can hold it in my hand and take good pics of shell and just small portion of his face that he sometimes keeps out while i hold him.

He ate some spinach and grass. No tomatoes. (Maybe this can help a bit)
Well that's pretty normal for a turtle for sure.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Can anyone tell me the Latin name so that I can talk with you :-D
Indian black turtle is Melanochelys trijuga

Spotted turtle is Geoclemys hamiltonii) (which is more of what it's looking like to me) a very mature female. Most are hard identify in wild because they're very dark and lose the brightly spotted colorful glamour of all the captive specimens we see.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Thank you!!!!
Yes trijuga could be especially because of the shell "lines" I don't know how to explain it better... :-D
This lines are typical for them.
But the head looks more like a Hamiltoni because it is more massive than the head of a trijuga..
More pics would be helpful!

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Spotted Pond Turtle (Geoclemus hamiltonii) no doubt about that. Under all that dust you can see its got the colorful head markings and side of shell you can see markings.

kapiljhajhria

Spotted Pond Turtle (Geoclemus hamiltonii) no doubt about that. Under all that dust you can see its got the colorful head markings and side of shell you can see markings.
Maybe these pics can help more.

What should I feed him?

And if you zoom in on one of the pics here you can see something on his eye.

Should i take him to a doctor or is it temporary dirt which might come off on its own.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415872566538.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415872566538.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415872618208.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415872618208.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415872670915.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415872670915.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415872731467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415872731467.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415872786107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415872786107.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 25

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes 100% geoclemys hammiltoni.
I don't know try different kinds of fish or other meat things..
I think tortadise know it better what you can feet.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep that's a spotted for sure. They eat fish, snails, and aquatic vegatation, but I'd really like to see this animal returned to a rural area. They're critically endangered. I could forward you some conservation centers information(depending on where you are) you could possibly take it to them. I know having posession of turtles/tortoises is illegal. So don't want to get yourself in trouble.

kapiljhajhria

Yep that's a spotted for sure. They eat fish, snails, and aquatic vegatation, but I'd really like to see this animal returned to a rural area. They're critically endangered. I could forward you some conservation centers information(depending on where you are) you could possibly take it to them. I know having posession of turtles/tortoises is illegal. So don't want to get yourself in trouble.
i just emailed one govt and one non-government organization about the whole situation. if you are aware of some organization in my city then please let me know. i am from gurgaon, haryana, india. its near delhi.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Its done. I. Handed over the turtle to wildlifeSOS today. He was sick. The staff their have called the doctor and gave him medicine for his eyes which they knew about. Doctor will take care of rest.

Thank you to all .... for your help
Maybe you can find the rest of the ones people said they saw, good job my friend.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

kapiljhajhria

Maybe you can find the rest of the ones people said they saw, good job my friend.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
I look for them everyday. At least 3 times in a day. But till now no sign of them, maybe someone else took them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its done. I. Handed over the turtle to wildlifeSOS today. He was sick. The staff their have called the doctor and gave him medicine for his eyes which they knew about. Doctor will take care of rest.

Thank you to all .... for your help
Spectacular. Good deed sir.