help me identify this baby tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannon35

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Someone dropped this precious baby off at my doorstep stating they could no longer care for it. Everyone knows I am an animal lover and rescue all types. The note said it was a sulcata but I know it is not. I have been doing so much research and can't figure it out! I'm hoping it's not a gopher tortoise! It's very friendly, eats and drinks w/ no problem! HELP!!!
Picture703.jpg

Picture702.jpg
[/font]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: HELP ME INDENTIFY THIS BABY TORTOISE

Well, its the right color for a sulcata. Maybe the front leg spurs will get bigger as he grows. That's the only thing that kept me from saying for sure its a sulcata...the front legs. (I'm 98% sure its a sulcata)

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ

I think so too!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

Hi Shannon,
It is a Gopher tortoise, Gopherus polyphemus. If it hasn't been exposed to other tortoises and you live in the Gopher tortoise's range, I'd just release him/her. :D

If you notice Yvonne it has a very wide nuchal scute, which Sulcatas don't have. :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

egyptiandan said:
If you notice Yvonne it has a very wide nuchal scute, which Sulcatas don't have. :D
Danny

I can't even see the nuchal scute. You have SUCH good eyes!!

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why did you hope is isn't a gopher tortoise? Are they illegal for you to own where you live?

Yvonne

shannon35

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The reason I was hoping it wasn't a gopher tortoise IS because it is illegal to pocess one here. But this one obviously was born in captivity and is very use to people because it is so friendly! I would love to keep it though! Sooooo cute and sweet! I have owned tortoises before but never a gopher....maybe as a young child. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
shannon35 said:
The reason I was hoping it wasn't a gopher tortoise IS because it is illegal to pocess one here. But this one obviously was born in captivity and is very use to people because it is so friendly! I would love to keep it though! Sooooo cute and sweet! I have owned tortoises before but never a gopher....maybe as a young child. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, MAN! That really sucks! Can you call and ask hypothetically if a person is able to keep a captive born gopher tortoise baby? If you want to give it a try, call from a pay phone so your caller i.d. doesn't show up. Also ask them what should a person do who finds a baby on their doorstep. You certainly don't want to hear that they would euthanize the baby if you turn it in. Here in California we are able to apply to the Department of Fish & Game for a permit to keep a tortoise. Do you live in Florida? Its usually the law-abiding people who get caught doing something illegal. A person who has no regard for the law would be able to keep a gopher tortoise on his property and never get found out! I was going to ask you to keep us informed, but I think the less we all know the better.

Yvonne

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OMG! that little baby is a darling!
I hope you'll get keep him/her. So adorable.

isn't it illegal to release animals? maybe you can get a permit? I'd check with the state authority. where I live, if you are caught possessing an illegal animal, the state will confiscate all the animals you have, illegal or not. let us know what happens.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can have Gopher tortoises on your property in Florida. The only thing is, is you can't have your yard fenced in if you do.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.