Help me keep my Redfoot healthy

Killerrookie

I actually do have a digital one in the tank, it's on the other side. Like I said I just got him two weeks ago and the people at Petco sold me a 20 galloon tank and told me all I needed was some chips at the bottom of it with a uvb light and heat lamp. I figured out they were way wrong. I'll get the humidity up this weekend. My heat temp in there is about 85 at one end and 90 at the other. I'm feeling bummed that he is pyramiding. I need to get his diet down.
Hey it happens!!

Killerrookie

They always trick people into buying things that are completely useless and have nothing to do with the animal your buying! It happened to me and I was bummed too

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I keep mine in a closed chamber. Hum humidity is constant and I only have to add some water one or twice a week. I don't use a fogger

Cheri

Luckily I'm totally into him and have researched a lot. I just realized today that I'm probably not feeding him the proper diet. I was giving him variety to keep him busy during the day and give him something to do.. I read that he shouldn't be fed every day as well, which I can't imagine as he loves eating.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Luckily I'm totally into him and have researched a lot. I just realized today that I'm probably not feeding him the proper diet. I was giving him variety to keep him busy during the day and give him something to do.. I read that he shouldn't be fed every day as well, which I can't imagine as he loves eating.
Nonsense.... Feed him everyday. I feed every morning and offer a snack in the evenings a few times a week

Killerrookie

Feed him everyday!! That's how you make them fat and happy :)

Killerrookie

Most Exo-Terra bulbs are coil. You able to take a picture of the light bulb for us?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It's an ex-terra uvb light
But is it the compact florescent bulb? Those types have been know to cause eye issues with baby torts. Yours is still young but not a baby so it may be okay.

Cheri

I'll have to look into that and I'll update you tomorrow. It's past my bedtime.

Cheri

Here is a picture of the light I have. I also have a 150w basking bulb which I switch out at night with a 150w red heat bulb and I have a 100w regular light in the middle of the tank.repto light.jpg repto light.jpg

Killerrookie

Just what I expected! I recommend changing the light bulb to a Zoo Med Mercury Vapor Bulb. Reason why you need to change it is because coil bulbs are known to cause tortoises to go blind or harm them.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yeah that bulb is not good, neither is the red light you use at night. Some reptiles don't see color so red and black lights for them at night. Torts do see color so that light is not good for them, they need it to be dark and warm. This can best be achieved with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)

Cheri

Ok thank you for the advice. I will order some new bulbs. I did give him Egg today and he is not interested at all... Can I give him White tuna from a can?

Cheri

I tried the dog food and he loved it... It's small bites and I only wet down about 8 lil pieces and he went crazy.