Help me keep my Redfoot healthy

Cheri

I've owned my redfoot for a couple weeks and I'm nervous I may not be feeding him the way he should be fed.

I give him Kale or mixed organic greens daily. I always include a small bowl of mixed fruit (kiwi, grapes, strawberries, pineapple, mango, occasionally a bit of banana) I also include a small bowl of mixed veggies (cucumber, zucchini, squash, occasionally carrot & tomato).

Is this a good diet for him? Anything I should add or change? I believe he's about 2.

Killerrookie

You ever feed him mealworms,pillbug,pinkies or tuna? Because red foots need it every once in awhile to keep them healthy. You feed them fruits everyday?

Cheri

I have been feeding him fruits everyday and he loves them... Should I stop? I've never fed any of the things you mentioned. If I start to feed tuna, egg, or chicken how often should I feed it to him? Do I leave the peal and all on the egg? How many ounces of protein should I give him for his size? As for the tuna, can it be any kind of white canned tuna in water?

Killerrookie

I boil the egg and sometimes I peel the shell pieces off but you don't have to. I feed them that stuff every month in the morning and then feed them a variety weeds and grass. I really feed my Redfoot fruits 2 days a week really and the rest is mostly weeds,grass,hay.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Fruit is fine for a Redfoot but not everyday, it's like candy to a kid......of course they love it. The main diet should be dark leafy greens like mustard greens, bok Choy, radish tops. Redfoots do need protein but only once or twice a month. Check out the website tortoiselibrary.com and read all about a good diet and housing.

How old is your Redfoot? Most don't start with protein until the are about a year old

Cheri

I got him from Petco and they told me he was 1 but I think he may be 2 or 3.

Killerrookie

I always knew petco sold Red Foots but I never seen one in stores. He does have some pyramiding going on, I recommend to just feed less fruits and more things like Tortdad said and weeds!!!

Cheri

How do I fix Pyramiding? No one has said that to me yet.

Killerrookie

You can't really fix pyramiding but you can prevent it from getting worse for sure!! Most people believe it's do to how much humidity they have and what you feed them

Cheri

My humidity is low. I get it up to 70% in the morning and evening but it doesn't last long. I'm going to buy a cool mist humidifier this weekend and rig it up to the tank.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
How do I fix Pyramiding? No one has said that to me yet.
There's no fixing what's already there. That means he's been kept too dry. What is your humidity level at?

If you keep h humid the new growth will come in smooth and eventually (over the next several years) start to fill in around the existing pyramiding and make it less noticeable.

FYI that analog disc gauge you have sucks, they are super inaccurate an you have it mounted too high. I'm willing to bet it's colder and dryer at tortoise level than you think. You can get a good digital temp/humidity gauge at Home Depot for $10

Killerrookie

Most people put lids and stuff to keep humidity in but I'm a open top type of guy and my problem is humidity too. I fixed it by using a humidifier and putting a timer on it so it goes of every hour and a half for 10 mins.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My humidity is low. I get it up to 70% in the morning and evening but it doesn't last long. I'm going to buy a cool mist humidifier this weekend and rig it up to the tank.
Make sure you don't let the temps get below 80, day or night, because humid and cold=respiratory infection

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Use some tin foil or something to make a tight lid to trap the heat and humidity inside.

Cheri

I actually do have a digital one in the tank, it's on the other side. Like I said I just got him two weeks ago and the people at Petco sold me a 20 galloon tank and told me all I needed was some chips at the bottom of it with a uvb light and heat lamp. I figured out they were way wrong. I'll get the humidity up this weekend. My heat temp in there is about 85 at one end and 90 at the other. I'm feeling bummed that he is pyramiding. I need to get his diet down.