Help me layout this 4 x 8 indoor enclosure

Tony78

Location (City and/or State)
Naperville
I've built a new 4 x 8 habitat for our red foot. It will have a greenhouse style cover to help with humidity and temps. Please help me layout the placement of lighting / CHE etc. My two initial thoughts in the attached picture but open to any suggestions. I can change the shape, size etc of the primary hide or add an extra hide if you all recommend. I'm thinking of ordering a 48" Arcadia tube but can get a different size if that's better. Thank you everyone!!! tortoise.png

Tony78

Naperville
I should mention this is an adult redfoot and he has an outdoor enclosure late spring - early fall.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I should mention this is an adult redfoot and he has an outdoor enclosure late spring - early fall.
Personally if it was me since your tort is out all summer I'd just do full spectrum LED's in the new indoor enclosure. If you were going to try to grow plants in the enclosure you would probably get better light coverage with B.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would go for B.

Redfoots dont really NEED a hot/colder side, they do really well with an overall steady temp throughout. Either way, make sure you get a temp reader to monitor both ends and make sure they are within the 80's range.

They also don't like intense light, but personally if I don't have UV in certain areas that's where the mold perpetuates (depending on the material of the enclosure, the substrate, humidity which I expect should be high, and frequency of spot cleaning).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You might find that 2 lower wattage CHE placed apart from each other will provide a much better ambient heat for you than a single, hotter one.
You want the entire enclosure in the 82, 84 degree range.
As long as your tort gets outside a few times a week, he wont need additional UVB. Just a soft light like an LED strip. (To simulate daytime)
NO HARSH, BRIGHT LIGHTS.
If going outside isnt an option, then a 24" or 36" T5 HO strip UVB florescent will provide both UVB and all the daytime light you're going to need.
So, B with an additional CHE on the right side