Help me make the move back indoors successful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! Our Sulcata turned 6 years old this spring, and we decided he was big enough to have free range of our backyard. After a lot of tough love, we finally got him to start eating the grasses and weeds that he was supposed to be eating for the last 6 years!!!! I will admit that I did not do a good job of feeding him what was best....but now that he is eating right, I dont want to lose it when we move him back indoors in a couple of weeks!!!

Whats the best way to keep him eating right??? He is used to just walkig around our huge yard eating whatever he wants...what do I start feeding him when I get him back indoors??? I DONT want to go back to the romaine and other bad stuff I was doing before :(:(

Its so nice to watch him just walk around eating up our back yard....thankfully its HUGE and didnt really make a dent in any one spot :D:D

thanks in advance for the help!!

Jeffrey

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ooh, so snow and freezing temps, huh?

Looks like you will be limited to what you can grow in pots or trays indoors, Mazuri, hay, and there is still a lot of variety available from the store. ZooMed Grassland tortoise food is great to mix up with you greens too.

Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a product called "Salad Style". It is basically fine chopped up Timothy and orchard grass hay. You sprinkle it over greens and stuff to add some much needed grass and fiber to the diet.

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
Great! Thanks!!! Is there a link that could help me figure out how to grow stuff in pots or trays indoors?? Also, you said there is a variety of stuff at the store, could you give me an example??

Yes, you are right, snow and freezing temps :(:( I did make him a large heated home in the garage, so he still has a decent size place to live. I might be able to grow some stuff on one side on the enclosure if I get some grow lights!

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
Sulcatafood.com sulcata seed mix. I just bought some there for $5. Starter pack. Grows great indoors. Actually in his indoor enclosure.

image-3135593008.png

Just started sprouting today. Planted seeds sunday

There's a pic on my thread

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
good luck moving him back inside and keeping him happy.. you would be better off trying to cover an area outside with a large heated shed.. but with snow,, that gets tricky..
look into Loafing sheds for design ideas.

elvis

5 Year Member
southern calif
I live in warm So Cal and winters can even be pretty cold here. I make what I call " meat balls " I use the food processor and chop up grape leaves, rose of Sharon,cactus pads,hibiscus flowers & leaves, dandelion flowers & leaves Timothy hay sometimes a little bit of carrots, calcium powder. Soak up some mazuri mix it all up and fill little zip lock baggies. Throw them in the freezer when my yard is down to slim pickings. I will take whatever I need out in the morning let them thaw. My sullies have always gobbled them all up !

Status
Not open for further replies.