Help me! My Rue is sick !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruepoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
So my russian tortoise was eating her lettuce today and then started breathing out of her nose kind of heavy so was just going to see if it went away. Well it hasn't and she started about an hour ago breathing out of her mouth every now and then and it sounds like she is gurgling or like trying to swallow something. So obviously going to to take her to an emergency vet visit when they open in the morning, but is there things i should be doing tonight? I read to make sure she stays warm because it helps with breathing so should i leave the lamp on all night? Someone help me!! I feel so bad for her!
Thanks a bunch!
Lauren Conrad
P.S i took that picture of her earlier so idk if you can tell by looking at her if she looks sick or whatever but anyway that's rue!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
First off keep her warm..what are her 3 temps? Give warm soakes. Do you have a CHE ? If not i suggest investing in one.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Gorgeous baby! I hope she's alright. Russians are notorious for eating their substrate. What is that and could she have ingested some and it got stuck? Things like coco coir and organic topsoil are generally harmless. But bark twigs etc can become hazards. A warm soak, and warmer than normal temps are the way to go until your vet can see her.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Weird, my Russian done something similar yesterday but he was acting like he was actually choking and renching to be sick. Soaks and massaging his neck eased it off as well as tricking him to take a drink with diluted baby food. I managed to speak to my vet who said he could have irritated or scratched inside his throat and told me to give him soft foods for a few days. He managed a little today without any reoccurrence.
Is probably something different but thought I'd pass on what I've been doing, incase it helps. Hope she is ok
X

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It sounds like she may have swallowed something that is stuck in her throat. Will she let u open her mouth? If so, you can either pick it out with a tweeter or rub it out. If you can't get into her throat, I suspect your vet may fair better. Other than that the only thing it could be is some respitory infection. Keep an eye on her until you see the vet.

M

Maggie Cummings

Give her a long warm soak and quite possibly if there is something in her throat drinking might make it move..

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You didn't tell us what your substrate is made of. ?/?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
beak overgrown, and its hard to tell but her nostrils look clogged... they should be black holes and I see pale color.. keep her warm....

Status
Not open for further replies.