Help me please!!! (runny nose)

Dana123

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hi so i have a perfectly healthy tortoise here then i got another one which was sick and it stayed for a couple of weeks then i returned it (the sick turtle had a runny nose and blowing bubbles from its nose) and few days later my healthy tortoise began having a runny nose and keeps rubbing his eye i cant take it to the vet and i tried finding medication elsewhere i just couldn’t but he drinks water and eats his food and i soak him in warm water i try to keep him warm so please help me i don’t know what to do anymore image.jpg

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! Sorry your tortoise is sick!

I'm not sure what kind of tortoise you have there. Could you post a couple more pictures showing both his upper and lower shells?

Do you keep him in an enclosure of some kind? If he has a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat, raise his temperature up to 85°F (29-30°C). What temp do you usually keep him at?

Please post some pictures of his enclosure, and tell us what lights and equipment you use. What are the 4 temps? Basking, warm side, cool side, and ambient? How low does it go at night?

The temp raising is what we normally do for tortoises with a RI (respiratory infection). Until we know what species he is, that's about all I can recommend. Are you sure he's a tortoise and not a turtle?

Dana123

Kuwait
Hi so i have a perfectly healthy tortoise here then i got another one which was sick and it stayed for a couple of weeks then i returned it (the sick turtle had a runny nose and blowing bubbles from its nose) and few days later my healthy tortoise began having a runny nose and keeps rubbing his eye i cant take it to the vet and i tried finding medication elsewhere i just couldn’t but he drinks water and eats his food and i soak him in warm water i try to keep him warm so please help me i don’t know what to do anymore View attachment 321655

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dana123

Kuwait

I'm not sure what kind of tortoise you have there. Could you post a couple more pictures showing both his upper and lower shells?

Do you keep him in an enclosure of some kind? If he has a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat, raise his temperature up to 85°F (29-30°C). What temp do you usually keep him at?

Please post some pictures of his enclosure, and tell us what lights and equipment you use. What are the 4 temps? Basking, warm side, cool side, and ambient? How low does it go at night?

The temp raising is what we normally do for tortoises with a RI (respiratory infection). Until we know what species he is, that's about all I can recommend. Are you sure he's a tortoise and not a turtle?
So for the heat i either put him in the sun or a heating bulb
And yeah thank you i will raise the temp i little bit more

Dana123

Kuwait

The temp doesnt really drop That much at night

Dana123

Kuwait

I put him on the ground and he knows where the heat is and just chooses to go in the sun so i try to keep him in the sun for heat

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are they Hermanns tortoises?
Can you show us pictures of his enclosure and his lamp?
It could be the substrate you are using irritating him.
Do you usually keep them together?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
You've gotten some good advice here, but it's worth pointing out that all new tortoises should be quarantined for at least two months to avoid this issue.

That being said, sorry for your troubles and I'm sending positive thoughts and hopes for your tortoise's speedy recovery.

Jamie

Dana123

Kuwait
You've gotten some good advice here, but it's worth pointing out that all new tortoises should be quarantined for at least two months to avoid this issue.

That being said, sorry for your troubles and I'm sending positive thoughts and hopes for your tortoise's speedy recovery.

Jamie
Thank you

Dana123

Kuwait
Are they Hermanns tortoises?
Can you show us pictures of his enclosure and his lamp?
It could be the substrate you are using irritating him.
Do you usually keep them together?
So what i did now is change the lamp spot then realized that i can find better ones so im ordering a new one buy the problem is what should i get?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Please post some pics of the enclosure - that could be the problem.

Dana123

Kuwait
Be
Please post some pics of the enclosure - that could be the problem.
Before i show you i just wanna say that we went out to get him like sand and special food and Ceramic infra-red (IR) dull emitters and more stuff because i just emptied out the space now i just need help with what should i be giving him to eat at the moment do i feed him something else???? I feed him lettuce and sometimes cucumber just yo get the water in him cuz he doesn’t always drink water and i throw in some fruit like watermelons and i try to find any sources of vitamins really anyways thats the empty space i will add stuff soon because i got new ones

Dana123

Kuwait
Be

Before i show you i just wanna say that we went out to get him like sand and special food and Ceramic infra-red (IR) dull emitters and more stuff because i just emptied out the space now i just need help with what should i be giving him to eat at the moment do i feed him something else???? I feed him lettuce and sometimes cucumber just yo get the water in him cuz he doesn’t always drink water and i throw in some fruit like watermelons and i try to find any sources of vitamins really anyways thats the empty space i will add stuff soon because i got new ones

Attachments

• 98E38683-AAC9-4828-8EAE-991634C591C2.jpeg
    98E38683-AAC9-4828-8EAE-991634C591C2.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 34

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The tortoise in post #3 looks to be a male Greek, Testudo graeca terrestris.

We need more pictures of the tort in post #10

You need to get a thermometer and keep the temp above 29 C at all times with a basking spot that is 35 C. Respiratory infections can be cured without medication. Tortoises rely on getting warm for their immune systems to work.

Make sure all the tortoises are kept in separate enclosures.

Dana123

Kuwait
The tortoise in post #3 looks to be a male Greek, Testudo graeca terrestris.

We need more pictures of the tort in post #10

You need to get a thermometer and keep the temp above 29 C at all times with a basking spot that is 35 C. Respiratory infections can be cured without medication. Tortoises rely on getting warm for their immune systems to work.

Make sure all the tortoises are kept in separate enclosures.
Omg thank you SO MUCH god bless you so respiratory infection can be cured if i keep it warm right? And about the food is what im giving him good enough? Also you mean the sick tortoise is male greek tortoise? Or the other one? Do you need more pictures?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The above will help you get everything you need.

Sand is not a good substrate because it can irritate skin and eyes and if ingested can cause the gut to become impacted which is very painful and can be fatal. The caresheet will advise you on what to get as well as lamps, diet etc. What you are feeding him is not good for him. So please read that carefully.

Your tort needs a secure enclosure (minimum 4 x 8 feet but the bigger the better ) and not be allowed to wander around a house. Things like cleaning chemicals,, dust, human hair and small hazards that could be swallowed are all dangerous for your tort. There have also been torts killed by getting crushed in doors.

You will need 2 enclosures and sets of lamps etc for 2 torts because they should never be kept in pairs.
Torts are solitary creatures and do not like or need friends. They find it very stressful having to share their space and that can cause illness and when the bullying starts (staring, following, nudging, barging, tipping or mounting and biting) it can cause serious injury and even death.
So please do not keep them together or they will have a pretty miserable life.