Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
Hi every one!
My name is Jessica and I'm new here.

My boyfriend is going to build Annabella a new home.

I'm curious about how you all seal the bottom so it does not leak.
I know we can use a tarp but id rather not.
Ill attach pics of what I'm thinking about doing.

I am also thinking of putting a beam up for the lights and a flat stone down in one or two arias.
Should the stones be directly under the lights?

Please remember I'm new here and new to owning a tort trust me I'm doing better than her previous owner :)

Thank you all for reading

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 39

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Jessicapinkie1 said:
Hi every one!

I am also thinking of putting a beam up for the lights and a flat stone down in one or two arias.

Please remember I'm new here and new to owning a tort trust me I'm doing better than her previous owner :)

I use a tarp, because then its truly water tight. Depending on your tortoise, its needs, and your choice of substrate, a tarp or liner may be the best idea. I use a stone directly under my basking light. My tortoises doesn't bask much now that the temps are warming up tho. What type of tortoise do you have and how old? Pics?

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
theelectraco said:
Jessicapinkie1 said:
Hi every one!

I use a tarp, because then its truly water tight. Depending on your tortoise, its needs, and your choice of substrate, a tarp or liner may be the best idea. I use a stone directly under my basking light. My tortoises doesn't bask much now that the temps are warming up tho. What type of tortoise do you have and how old? Pics?

Awesome thats what I was thinking would be the cheapest way to go.
I just got a red footed tortoise off Craigslist. She is 5 years old.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 36

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Aww, what a cute Redfoot. I also have a Redfoot. They are great torts! In that case I would definately use a tarp. Right now I'm just using a large black industrial trash bag. It's nice to have it water tight because occasionally when my bedding drys up I pour a pitcher of water into it. What substrate are you going to use?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I used black liner from lowes to line my tort table (should be a link to it in my signature).

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
image.jpg
theelectraco said:
Aww, what a cute Redfoot. I also have a Redfoot. They are great torts! In that case I would definately use a tarp. Right now I'm just using a large black industrial trash bag. It's nice to have it water tight because occasionally when my bedding drys up I pour a pitcher of water into it. What substrate are you going to use?

Thank you!

I'm using top soil dirt & coconut fiber on top for now until the table is built ill prob do half and half

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Up until yesterday, I have always been using cypress mulch. Yesterday I bought some Eco Earth bricks from petsmart(coco coir) and did a 50/50 mix. It has really helped with my humidity and it isn't as messy as just using coco coir by itself.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Substrate sounds great.
Really consider a liner folded up the sides, because you will want the substrate moist for your new Redfoot. A tarp, or pond liner, or shower pan liner (got mine at Lowe's; very tough).
Think about putting moistened sphagnum moss into a hide near the heat source (plastic container turned up side down with a door cut).
What about a 5.0 tube fluorescent and a CHE for heat/basking (maybe more than one, depending on the size of your enclosure?).

Think about covering part of the top with plexiglass or something similar to hold humidity in. Some cut holes for the heat or light bulbs.

Do a search on this forum for Redfoot enclosures: Terryo's, Madkins007, many other good keepers.

Finally, make it as large as you can, 3x8 would work for an adult (to save you building another one soon).

That seems to be a good combination for Redfoots.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367125330.322410.jpg here's my enclosure. It's a converted tv stand. It being a closed chamber helps keep the heat and humidity in. My tortoise gets a lot of outside time so I am not currently using any UVB in his cage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
lynnedit said:
Substrate sounds great.
Really consider a liner folded up the sides, because you will want the substrate moist for your new Redfoot. A tarp, or pond liner, or shower pan liner (got mine at Lowe's; very tough).
Think about putting moistened sphagnum moss into a hide near the heat source (plastic container turned up side down with a door cut).
What about a 5.0 tube fluorescent and a CHE for heat/basking (maybe more than one, depending on the size of your enclosure?).

Think about covering part of the top with plexiglass or something similar to hold humidity in. Some cut holes for the heat or light bulbs.

Do a search on this forum for Redfoot enclosures: Terryo's, Madkins007, many other good keepers.

Finally, make it as large as you can, 3x8 would work for an adult (to save you building another one soon).

That seems to be a good combination for Redfoots.

Great!! Thank you so much!

mhbgirl

5 Year Member
Go to a hardware store and buy some plastic liner. I got 50 feet and it was only $8. It's completely water proof and you can cut it to any size.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
pvc liners as mentioned will work. Linoleum works too. I simply used several thick coats of exterior grade varnish. Its held up well for 3 years now, but I noticed some soft spots in the wood recently. Will be time for a new enclosure soon.

On this next one I think I'll use FRP (plastic paneling) and styrofoam to construct the enclosure, rather than try and waterproof wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.