Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The quick answer is yes, however, I'm pretty sure that isn't an eye infection.

The first sign of something wrong with a baby tortoise's care is swollen shut eyes. Please post a picture of your baby's habitat, let us know what you offer to eat and tell us the type of lights you're using.

Caden Estrada

tehachapi California
I have a uvb light and a heat light it's dark purple but is good for heat I give them lettus and they love that but sparkels the small one never opens his eyes

14729226107881338422369.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cupcake1674

I would like to know as well. We have the same situation with our redfoot babies. One is thriving and the other is struggling. They are on the same table with the same lights for each. Outside in SW Florida so the humidity is always high and we have a fogger for extra humidity. Our smaller one has stopped eating and we have to syringe feed him to strengthen back up

Caden Estrada

tehachapi California
Yup I spend lodes of time with them but sparkels the small one doesn't open his eyes but my other one sparkey he play full I'm worried

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Two things to check out:

1. Your UVB Bulb
If it is the compact coil type that looks like a low energy light bulb, then I suggest that you turn it off immediately and leave it off for a few days.

These bulbs can sometimes cause eye problems in tortoises. Not all torts are affected, but this is a quick and easy way to see if yours is. You should see improvement in a few days if this is the problem.

2. You appear to be keeping your torts as a pair.
Torts are solitary creatures. They don't need, want or particularly like friends. Another tort is simply competition for food and space. Bullying is common and can be mental or physical. Your tort may be showing signs of stress and I recommend that you separate them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would like to know as well. We have the same situation with our redfoot babies. One is thriving and the other is struggling. They are on the same table with the same lights for each. Outside in SW Florida so the humidity is always high and we have a fogger for extra humidity. Our smaller one has stopped eating and we have to syringe feed him to strengthen back up

RF tortoises and Sulcata tortoises are not the same care. What works for the sulcata baby might not be the same answer for your RF baby. I suggest you make your own thread either in the "health" section or in the "Redfoot" section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the lights are on top of a screen, so it may not be the light causing the problem. Screens block out a good portion of the beneficial UVB rays.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Can they both get in and out of that water bowl ?
The little one in particular will struggle, especially if the big one is using it.
the little one is possible dehydrated.
Soak it daily for 15 to 20 minutes..
A cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer or similar, big enough for a tort to soak in and sunk into the substrate is preferable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please set the smaller sulcata up in a small hospital tank. Make it so the overall temperature for the whole tank is 85F degrees. A 10 gallon aquarium works well as a hospital tank. Give him a hiding place and a UVB light. Give him moist substrate and keep it moist.

Soak this baby in warm water daily for at least a half hour.