Help!! My female painted just attacked my male RES

KristinMaeK

Location (City and/or State)
Severna Park
I have a female painted and a male RES that have been together since day 1 when they were little. Now all the sudden the female had been going after the male at his neck! I just witnessed it for the first time and broke it up. Last week I noticed red marks on the neck of my male but I thought maybe it was from fluttering. He wasn't fighting back at all. She is a little bigger than him but they have a big clean tank (looking for an upgrade currently), they're fed well, ect. Why is this all the sudden happening now after being together for 3 years. Any help is greatly appreciated. I was so scared when I jumped off the couch to get her off of him. I stuck my entire arm in the tank sweater and jewelry right into that water. It took my husband finally getting her to let go of the male with a wooden spoon and I was able to grab the male out before she could go back at him. He is ok, neck swollen and red but skin doesn't seem to be cut. He's on the baking dock right now with the light out for the night and she is in the water. Could she just be going through a phase? I want to keep them both safe. I have noticed for a while that the female hasn't been as friendly as she use to be with me and I'm Mama!

Thanks for any advice!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
question #1: Do you know for sure that she is truly a she?
question #2: How big is the tank?
question#3: can you post pictures of your setup and turtles?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Definitely get them separated. The turtle keepers on the reptile site I help moderate highly recommend against housing turtles together unless it’s in a large pond with a group of 3 or more for this reason, and I have the same opinion.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Definitely get them separated. The turtle keepers on the reptile site I help moderate highly recommend against housing turtles together unless it’s in a large pond with a group of 3 or more for this reason, and I have the same opinion.
You go to other sites?!?!

KristinMaeK

Severna Park

Its 2 of them and they do have a large tank but they are being separated.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm not familiar with turtles specifically. But sexual maturity and/or territoriality makes most critters obnoxious at some point in time.

That's why it worked for 3 years, then it didn't. Somebody's switch turned "on".

Your male has probably been being bullied for some time, and you just didn't see it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Not typical behavior for a painted turtle but there's always one jerk in the bunch. It might have been a one time thing but It might not turn out the same if it does happen again. Best to separate them.