HELP. My forsten's tortoise sleep a lot

Clica

i think my tortoise is sick. She's sleep a lot and doesn't eat at all. My forsten love to ear cucumber, but now she didn't eat it at all.have anybody experiencing something like this? In my country there's no vet for tortoise :(:(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I do not keep this particular species but when a tortoise is not eating and lethargic I always suspect the temperature. what temperatures are you keeping this particular tortoise at?

mrscruffy

During cold snaps in the weather, my Elongateds become less active. My male stayed in his burrow for over two months earlier this year. He is eating normally again now. I wonder what else you feed her?

Cheers
Scruff

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Forsten's like high humidity, good hiding spots, and low lighting, especially the hatchlings. Try minimizing stress by keeping the area quiet and offer leafy greens and some fruit. You can also try hard boiled eggs.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I agree with mrscruffy - Indotestudo slow way down in cool weather and it doesn't seem harmful of unusual.

Are you in a cold snap right now? We had another bout of winter kick in last week and my elongata's appetite has dropped again but I suspect it'll pick up today as we've warmed up again.

What else have you tried feeding? My guy never turns down banana, passion fruit, Mazuri, shrimp, or earthworms.

Clica

I keep her in my bed room. I use night glow for the heater. The temperature stable in 30C and i use uvb light in the afternoon and the water dish always full and clean. Earlier i gave her bok choy but now she doesnt want to eat unless i gave her cucumber. What should I do?:(:(

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It's 30C day and night? I would have thought Forsten's do better with a bit cooler night temperatures. In any case, you need a more varied diet. Smear cucumber juice or banana on new foods if it refuses to try them.

Clica

What is the ideal temperature for forsten? Okay i will try to mix the food. Thanks :):)

Clica

I tried to give her banana mix with bhock choy but still didnt eat:(:(. Please help

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard loves cucumber but it is not good as the only main food because there is not much nutritional value in it.
As SarahC said if you drip juice from the cucumber on to the new foods you are introducing the smell will encourage them to eat.

Clica

And now, shes sleep alot. No eat at all. I checked all her body but no sign of infection. Have anybody wxperincing as mine?:(

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I know my Forsten's loves foods that are brightly colored. Mango and Strawberries are a definite go-to for her. See if she'll eat those, just to get her eating. Those are supposed to be more of a treat though but if you're really struggling getting her to eat then definitely try that. Also my girl LOVES Endive, you can try that too. Do you have any pics of her enclosure?