Help my green spotted puffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddieKrueger

5 Year Member
Anyone knowledgable with green spotted puffers? I've had him for 8 years and he is at the bottom of the tank for the last 3 days and is not eating. I did a water change last week and then yesterday. All level are good, nitrates, ammonia, pH is a little low but now by much. temp is 77F which is good. Salinity was a little low, but increasing it. He is hiding is a rock and very lethargic. Please help! nothing has been introduced recently that could have hurt hiim, is it just old age???

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Poor guy!! :(
I wish I could help but I dont know anything about them. It could be old age....I dont know.
I hope someone can help you! So sorry he isnt doing good.

FreddieKrueger

5 Year Member
luvpetz27 said:
Poor guy!! :(
I wish I could help but I dont know anything about them. It could be old age....I dont know.
I hope someone can help you! So sorry he isnt doing good.

Thanks for your concern, he is laying on his side now still moving his eyes and breathing. I think he is going to pass soon. Only can keep praying there is a turn around and doing water changes!! :(( So sad He's been with me so long....

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Sorry to hear that :( My only experience with fish are goldfish from a carnival so I have no advice....But we all certainly understand the feeling of a sick/dying beloved pet :( I hope his health turns around for you!

morloch

5 Year Member
Hello, I have had quite a few puffers.sounds like you have done and tried everything. How large is the tank ? Have u tried feeding him something different to get his appetite going ?, earthworms ,, crayfish, etc. keep in mind he is getting older. In captivity I find most of the time theyre lifespan is shortened. I wish you all the best. I hope he does perk up!

Also,, keep his light off, less stress.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
Ugh, I am so sorry to read this, they are great fish. One of my absolute favorites. Is his belly dark? GPS as you know have every growing teeth, so I assume his bill is trimmed or there are no issues there. If your water conditions are good such as Alk, salt gravity, ph, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia or in check them that shouldn't be an issue.
It could be age, I know they become little family members. I'm sorry.

Is his breathing labored, can you see the pink in his gills?

FreddieKrueger

5 Year Member
Just wanted to let you guys know he passed the next day Sept. 14th, it must have been old age. He was already fairly large when I got him so he could have been 10+ years old. The woman on the puffer forum maybe me feel bad by saying normally they live in their late teens, but from every website I looked at it said 10+ and some up to 15 which I think is rare! Just like people, some live long, some live a shorter life. To say all make it to 15 is unrealistic.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I'm so sorry, I had a green spotted puffer that I was very fond of. Who knows what happened, 8 yrs is way longer then I had my guy. Please don't beat yourself up.

Status
Not open for further replies.