Help!! My Hermann’s has worms!!

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Help!! I was soaking my little guy Murphey and he pooped and it has worms in it!! I already have a dewormer on hand that was a prescription for my other guy who is a Russian when he had worms… they were pin worms though, is this the same? I have also noticed that he has been supper hungry compared to my others, should I feed him more? I don’t know what to do? The dewormer is called ponazuril. I need help fast please!! Will my baby be okay?

Attachments

• 3367FB2E-D9C2-4F7E-BDD8-BFEBF481D4B6.jpeg
    3367FB2E-D9C2-4F7E-BDD8-BFEBF481D4B6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

Grace-Sophia

Texas
My tortoises have also spent a little bit of outside time together will they all need to be dewormed?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Also, how do tortoises get worms in the first place? I NEVER want this to happen again!

Jannra

Canadian Prairie

This thread talks about deworming

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Help!! I was soaking my little guy Murphey and he pooped and it has worms in it!! I already have a dewormer on hand that was a prescription for my other guy who is a Russian when he had worms… they were pin worms though, is this the same? I have also noticed that he has been supper hungry compared to my others, should I feed him more? I don’t know what to do? The dewormer is called ponazuril. I need help fast please!! Will my baby be okay?
Let’s ask some experts:
@Yvonne G @Tom

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Given you've had a couple types of parasites, you should definitely have fecals done on your tortoises to ensure selection and use of a dewormer that will be effective and safe for torts. All your torts should be dewormed and their environment thoroughly cleaned and substrate replaced to prevent re-infection.

casstom702

Las Vegas
Both of the Russians I rescued from PetSmart, and I do mean rescued, had worms. I suggest this, it works great from my torts: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/Panacur
Give them a pea size blob on one of their favorite treats and hand-feed it to them. Do this once a week for 4 weeks. That should clear it up.
I tried pumpkin, garlic, rosemary, none of it worked, though the pumpkin AND this medicine did produce faster results.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Both of the Russians I rescued from PetSmart, and I do mean rescued, had worms. I suggest this, it works great from my torts: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/Panacur
Give them a pea size blob on one of their favorite treats and hand-feed it to them. Do this once a week for 4 weeks. That should clear it up.
I tried pumpkin, garlic, rosemary, none of it worked, though the pumpkin AND this medicine did produce faster results.
I do not recommend following the advice of casstom702. Dewormers are not innocuous. They must be selected based on the parasite(e) present and dosed properly--that dewormed is for horses and is far too concentrated in any quantity for a small tort.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Thank y’all so much for all of the help! I have been dosing the little guy for the last 3 days now ( including today) with Panacur 10%

it seems to be working great, I only noticed ONE worm in his stool today!!! will continue until none are visible.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
No to come across harsh( I don’t mean it if it does! And sorry) but I am curious as to why?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Does your tortoise spend a lot of time outside with other animals?
Where did you get your tortoise? Wild-caught or captive-bred?

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Don't overdo it. It's not meant to be administered daily. As the worms and get passed, it's possible you will see more. Visual evidence of worms/no worms in stool is not how success or failure of treatment is measured
How is it measured?
As I've tried to tell you--any anthelminthic needs to be properly administered. You are using a product that should only be used under the supervision or guidance of a veterinarian. You are using a product meant for horses. It is far too concentrated to be used on your tort. Correct dosing taking into account the weight and species differences. Nearly all drugs are metabolized by the liver and kidneys. Different species metabolize drugs differently. If dosing is not done properly toxicity can occur. By dosing daily, for many days you are not even following the directions for horses.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
As I indicated before--a fecal should be performed prior to treatment to make sure the proper drug is used to eliminate everything present and then to measure success, a follow up fecal is performed.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I am not using the one recommended above. It is only 10% concentratied and was bought from a Vet.
He is captive breed and I got him from a very reliable store down here is Texas.