Help! My male Tort is trying to mate with everything!

CallmeAL

Location (City and/or State)
Fruit Heights
Hello!

New to this forum and to being a full-on Tortoise parent. I rescued my male 11 y/o Russian tortoise from a neglectful Montessori school in my city. I brought him home last summer and he was underweight, had parasites, and was very finicky with food.

He is healthy now, and has recently started trying to chase and hump everything--- ejaculation and all. The school said they never saw him exhibit any reproductive behavior before but I'm not sure he was healthy enough to do so.

Is this normal? I know nature will do what nature does but I'm having a hard time finding any info on single male torts and their mating behavior.

Help!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello!

New to this forum and to being a full-on Tortoise parent. I rescued my male 11 y/o Russian tortoise from a neglectful Montessori school in my city. I brought him home last summer and he was underweight, had parasites, and was very finicky with food.

He is healthy now, and has recently started trying to chase and hump everything--- ejaculation and all. The school said they never saw him exhibit any reproductive behavior before but I'm not sure he was healthy enough to do so.

Is this normal? I know nature will do what nature does but I'm having a hard time finding any info on single male torts and their mating behavior.

Help!
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of posts on torts humping flowerpots & the like & flashing & male & female parts on the forum. They'll be some folks meandering over to give you some advice. Thank you for rescuing this tort. He may just be so happy, he can't help himself!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello!

Help!
Chances are that this sexual maturity thing is new to him as well and he'll soon settle down.