Not open for further replies.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
I'm so sad !!!
And i don't understand anything !!!
My female is dead this afternoon.
This morning she was ok she eats correctly and when i come back this afternoon i found her with mouth open dead under the heat spot.
Since she was at home she tooks 100gr more she was at calm because since 4 day i putted my male away at my friend's home to let her at calm.
All looked good with her, i give her bath 3 times this week, she eats correctly and has a calcium complement.
When she was outdoor, she walked correct and was active.
I don't understand anything
Does anyone has idea what happened ???
I'm soooo sad she was only here since 1 week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No idea here. Shocking. Sounds like possible poisoning.

So sorry for your loss. I know you were very happy and excited about this new girl...

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
it's so hard and the harder is that i haven't any idea about what happened

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear
Right now I would lean towards something toxic.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I'm so sorry. That happened to me with my baby Leopard :( Sometimes things just happen :( It sounds like you were doing everything right :/ I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you get a new one. Again I'm SO sorry :'(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Julius...that is so sad and disheartening.

Are you going to have a necropsy done? This is the only thing that will tell you what went wrong.

Last night I was watching a program on cable TV called "The Incredible Dr. Pol." He was trying to figure out why some calves were dying. The farmer had been buying calves from different places, not from all the same place. Dr. Pol said that the calves from different places have different bacteria from each other. Sure enough, when he cut one of the dead babies open, he found it was infected with clostridium. The calves hadn't been isolated or quarantined from each other, but rather put all together right away.

So, my question to you, "Was your new female quarantined from the other tortoises?"

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Like i explain in a other topic i didn't have other terra to do this, i haven't other choice (i know it's not good) but all my other tortoises are treated for worm and bacteria i did every year a preventive treatment.
And recently the other had visit control and all was ok.
You really think to something like you explain ?

I don't understand if it was bacteria you think she still eat correctly and be active normaly ?
She didn't have humidity on noise, didn't make any noise when breathing and has eyes opened and clean.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I certainly do. It is something that your other tortoises were used to and had lived with, but something that the new tortoise couldn't fight off.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
I will brign her to the vet tomorrow to pratice autopsy.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. I have no idea what could've happened. Could she have choked on something? I don't think that there's any way she could have gotten sick in the short time that you have had her.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Let's do some investigation here -- she's only been in you possession one week? Where/who had her before? You could've bought an already sick or at least on the verge of sick, animal. My two cents...

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
so sorry for your loss, i hope they can figure out what happened to her. :(

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am so sorry about your new tortoise. Please let us know when you find out what happened to her.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. I was following your threads leading up to getting her and I know how excited you were about her. Unfortunately I have no insight as to what went wrong. Sorry for your loss. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.