Help! My new turtle is sleeping all the time

Gtrmoose

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My brand new Southern Painted Turtle has not eaten since I got it on Tuesday and has been sleeping day and night since Wednesday. He has a heat lamp and uvb bulb that I keep on during the day, I got a heater on Thursday because the tank water got colder than expected and is set to 76 f. Is he hibernating? Or has he passed on?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don’t know anything about this species.

However photos of your enclosure and lighting will help others to help you.

Also what is the temperature directly under your basking lamp at tortoise level and how long are the lights on for?

@Yvonne G @Moozillion ?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have not kept this species, but I have 2 thoughts.
1) for my mud turtles, I researched their best temperature range. Since the best temperature for them is high 70s, I made sure I got thermometers that keep the water temperature at 78 degrees.
2) both my turtles sleep a lot during the winter- my razor back sleeps more than my mississippi mud, but both get up about every other day.

i hope this helps.
Wish I had more to offer, but I bet other more experienced people check in with ideas soon!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a Western Painted in a 75 gallon tank. He has 74 degree water, and an old UVB bulb. He is super active all damned day. He has rosy Minnows to chase and a few goldfish. While he does bask he spends most of his day doing turtle stuff. He eats like a Sudan Sulcata ?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
My brand new Southern Painted Turtle has not eaten since I got it on Tuesday and has been sleeping day and night since Wednesday. He has a heat lamp and uvb bulb that I keep on during the day, I got a heater on Thursday because the tank water got colder than expected and is set to 76 f. Is he hibernating? Or has he passed on?
Where did you get him from? What part of the state are you in? Sorry for all the questions, but we're trying to help troubleshoot.

@Markw84 may have some advice, but more details would help.