Help! My red foot doesn’t really use his back legs.

kmalone95

Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland
I feel like he might be constipated. We did take him to the vet and she thinks he was just dehydrated and lack of calcium. So provided us with a calcium shot. It’s been about a month since and he is still not really moving his back legs and slides when he walks. He still has a very good appetite. The only thing is I don’t really see him pooping.
Is there anything you guys recommend us to do? We give him warm soaks everyday. We live in Florida so they do live out in the humidity and heat so that’s not an issue. We are just worried!

thank you!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I feel like he might be constipated. We did take him to the vet and she thinks he was just dehydrated and lack of calcium. So provided us with a calcium shot. It’s been about a month since and he is still not really moving his back legs and slides when he walks. He still has a very good appetite. The only thing is I don’t really see him pooping.
Is there anything you guys recommend us to do? We give him warm soaks everyday. We live in Florida so they do live out in the humidity and heat so that’s not an issue. We are just worried!

thank you!
I would consult a different Vet. Probably need some x rays taken. You can try doing really long warm soaks in a large soaking container. One big enough for the tortoise to move around a bit. Something like the bathtub. Soak for 45 min to an hour. This might help pass anything if the tortoise is impacted/constipated. Gluck

kmalone95

Lakeland
Thank you! I will keep trying that. I was told it takes torts a while to get better as well. Is that true?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you! I will keep trying that. I was told it takes torts a while to get better as well. Is that true?
Yes, tortoises are slow at everything lol. @ZEROPILOT is in Florida. He has a lot of experience with sick Torts. Maybe he can give you some advice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Living outdoors here in Florida and fed a varied, correct diet should in itself make adding more calcium almost totally unnecessary.
Has he/she always been kept outside? Or have you just started to do so?
That would rule out MBD.
(Except maybe for egg laying females)
Where are you in Florida?
Something else is wrong.