HELP! My Russian Tortoise just swallowed a piece of substrate!

Poke the Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I was feeding my Russian tortoise as I usually do, putting her food on a plate and letting her eat. Just now, as she was chewing, I heard a very loud crunch, much louder than usual. I went to see what was going on and she had a piece of substrate (pure cypress mulch) halfway in here mouth. The piece wasn't huge, but clearly large enough to be concerning. I didn't know what to do, let her eat it, try to take it out, etc. She ended up ingesting it. She is still eating and seems to be fine, but I don't know what to do or if she will be alright.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I was feeding my Russian tortoise as I usually do, putting her food on a plate and letting her eat. Just now, as she was chewing, I heard a very loud crunch, much louder than usual. I went to see what was going on and she had a piece of substrate (pure cypress mulch) halfway in here mouth. The piece wasn't huge, but clearly large enough to be concerning. I didn't know what to do, let her eat it, try to take it out, etc. She ended up ingesting it. She is still eating and seems to be fine, but I don't know what to do or if she will be alright.
Im sure she will be fine.. give her soaks and watch to be sure shes pooping normally

zovick

10 Year Member!
There isn't much you can do at this point. You just have to wait and see that the cypress piece the tortoise ate passes through the digestive system without causing either an impaction or a perforation of the gut (both bad outcomes). Keep feeding your tortoise as usual and soak it daily for 20-30 minutes and watch all the stools to see when the piece comes out. If it will eat cactus pads and cucumbers, those may help the piece pass through more easily, especially the cactus pads. It could take several days to a week for the piece to come through the system.

If the tortoise stops eating before it passes the cypress piece, you will very possibly need to see a vet for an intervention.

Poke the Turtle

Virginia
There isn't much you can do at this point. You just have to wait and see that the cypress piece the tortoise ate passes through the digestive system without causing either an impaction or a perforation of the gut (both bad outcomes). Keep feeding your tortoise as usual and soak it daily for 20-30 minutes and watch all the stools to see when the piece comes out. If it will eat cactus pads and cucumbers, those may help the piece pass through more easily, especially the cactus pads. It could take several days to a week for the piece to come through the system.

If the tortoise stops eating before it passes the cypress piece, you will very possibly need to see a vet for an intervention.
Thank you very much, I'll get her some cucumber now.