HELP!! my tortoise ate my mooncup

hettisurmail

I don't know what to do. One of the boys gave my adult Hermann tortoise my mooncup and he has eaten some. I can't get him to a vet for two days. What should I do? Please help!!!!!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
To save some of you from having to google this, a mooncup is a menstruation product that is an alternative to pads or tampons that is worn internally. Learn something new every day.
How much did your tortoise eat? What is it made of? I'm assuming it is non toxic since it is worn internally. My redfoots eat rocks and sticks and chunks of bone and anything they can really fit in their mouth. I honestly would not be concerned (and wouldn't pay for a vet visit) unless the tortoise is in distress. If he is still eating and drinking and active and doesn't appear to have a blockage I would see if things work themselves out. It is unlikely the vet can do anything for you. Plastic/silicone/whatever it's made of wont show up on radiographs unless you do a barium study (or something similar).

My 2 cents is to make sure he is warm, hydrated and well fed and observe him.

hettisurmail

To save some of you from having to google this, a mooncup is a menstruation product that is an alternative to pads or tampons that is worn internally. Learn something new every day.
How much did your tortoise eat? What is it made of? I'm assuming it is non toxic since it is worn internally. My redfoots eat rocks and sticks and chunks of bone and anything they can really fit in their mouth. I honestly would not be concerned (and wouldn't pay for a vet visit) unless the tortoise is in distress. If he is still eating and drinking and active and doesn't appear to have a blockage I would see if things work themselves out. It is unlikely the vet can do anything for you. Plastic/silicone/whatever it's made of wont show up on radiographs unless you do a barium study (or something similar).

My 2 cents is to make sure he is warm, hydrated and well fed and observe him.
Sorry I presumed people would know what it was. He ate quite a lot. I'm not sure why because he did have food. They are non toxic to use but they're clearly not designed to eat. It's made out of silicone. I don't know if it's poisonous to tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First question springs to mind - what is this personal item doing sitting someplace where "the boys" can find it?

Hopefully it will pass through without causing a problem.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Keep a close eye on the tort to make sure it's still eating and drinking. I would feed it some cucumber, cactus and maybe even some watermelon as all of those things will act as a laxative to speed this process up. I know surgery things like watermelon are bad but I'd want your tort to pass it asap.

BevSmith

Laughing so hard right now - reminds me of when my puppy got ahold of my Nuvaring years ago...

Silicone being inert, I would only be concerned with obstruction. Amplifying what others said here, watchful waiting is key. Make sure to see that your tortoise is eating, drinking, and pooping normally.

Silly tortoise!! Moon cups are not snacks!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
You may want to let the boys know that they shouldn't give your tortoise anything inedible that it can take a bite out of.

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah and that mooncups are only for mommies lol you can at least use this to embarrass them in front of their first girlfriends and silicone is soft and should pass.

hettisurmail

You may want to let the boys know that they shouldn't give your tortoise anything inedible that it can take a bite out of.
Yes I've made them clean out both tortoise enclosures and the stables as punishment.:D

hettisurmail

Yeah and that mooncups are only for mommies lol you can at least use this to embarrass them in front of their first girlfriends and silicone is soft and should pass.
I'm their nanny. I told their mum and she went ballistic. They've had all of their technology taken off them.:D