Kaaayy.cc

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee
That's so sad. We lost our rescued cat Teddy Bear. Just because they make it thru vet school doesn't make these vets smart.
I am so sorry to hear that! I can only imagine what you went through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello,
My leopard hatchling tortoise went to the vet today to check out his flaky skin. The vet told me he has never seen anything like it. That my tortoise is flaking in big chunks. The vet thinks it could be due to him soaking him frequently and that I should soak him only twice a week and put neosporine on the flaky/areas. I dont have neosporine at the moment so I am using organic coconut oil that someone on here recommended me. Also, the bet wanted to inject vitamins (D and C)but I declined that because he does NOT need more vitamins since I have been giving him that with his food. The vet did want Sheldon to get antibiotics (fortaz) which I did accept. After I got home from the vet I noticed that Sheldon was missing a nail and I know for a fact the nail was there when I took him. Unfortunately, due to covid I wasn’t able to go inside the hospital with Sheldon so I do not know exactly what happened but I am assuming they yanked his nail off by accident. I am really upset because they did not tell me anything and I am not sure if they even realized they ripped his nail off while examining Sheldons skin. I tried calling the vet but they were closed so I will try again first thing tomorrow morning . Do you guys think it will grow back? I will post a pick.
I'm 99% sure it's due to over supplementation with vitamins and minerals.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello everyone,
I have been concerned with my 1 year old leopard tortoise for a week now but waited a little bit to see if he would get better but he has not. I just made an appointment to take him to the vet tomorrow and I am hoping they can figure out what is going on. I have noticed his skin is flaking so I looked up on google and on here for any helpful comments on other threads but most of what I have read said, to just soak your tortoise and let nature takes its' course and it should fall off on its own. Also, Sheldon has not been eating as much as he used to because he is having a hard time opening his mouth wide. I can tell he wants to eat but he chooses not to because of the side of his mouth. I have been hand feeding him to help push the leafy greens in his mouth so he doesn't have to work for it by opening his mouth too wide. I will be posting picks, If anyone can get back to me please. Thank you!

View attachment 317721View attachment 317722View attachment 317723View attachment 317725
Looks like Sheldon could possible have internal parasites. Is the plaster
Hello everyone,
I have been concerned with my 1 year old leopard tortoise for a week now but waited a little bit to see if he would get better but he has not. I just made an appointment to take him to the vet tomorrow and I am hoping they can figure out what is going on. I have noticed his skin is flaking so I looked up on google and on here for any helpful comments on other threads but most of what I have read said, to just soak your tortoise and let nature takes its' course and it should fall off on its own. Also, Sheldon has not been eating as much as he used to because he is having a hard time opening his mouth wide. I can tell he wants to eat but he chooses not to because of the side of his mouth. I have been hand feeding him to help push the leafy greens in his mouth so he doesn't have to work for it by opening his mouth too wide. I will be posting picks, If anyone can get back to me please. Thank you!

View attachment 317721View attachment 317722View attachment 317723View attachment 317725
It looks like Sheldon could possibly have internal parasites. Is his tummy soft by any chance? Could be poor judgement but I’m looking at the plastron and it looks mushy. Do you feed Sheldon treats such as fruit?

Kaaayy.cc

Menifee
Looks like Sheldon could possible have internal parasites. Is the plaster

It looks like Sheldon could possibly have internal parasites. Is his tummy soft by any chance? Could be poor judgement but I’m looking at the plastron and it looks mushy. Do you feed Sheldon treats such as fruit?
mmm I don't think it is soft but ahh idk I think his tummy seems normal it doesn't feel mushy. What should there tummy's feel like hard? I don't feed him a whole lot of fruit. Do you have any recommendations for fruit if so please send them my way. Thank you so much!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
mmm I don't think it is soft but ahh idk I think his tummy seems normal it doesn't feel mushy. What should there tummy's feel like hard? I don't feed him a whole lot of fruit. Do you have any recommendations for fruit if so please send them my way. Thank you so much!
Well, a large amount of sugar can cause internal parasites. But his stomach looks semi mushy to me. You would know though, by the way it feels. It should feel like a rock and you should be able to tap on it and hear the sound of your nail reflecting back.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely change the amount of vitamins/minerals and only add a pinch.
I would cut out vitamins all together for now. Just a pinch of calcium like Yvonne G suggested. Let Sheldon detox from the vitamins. It wont hurt him for a few weeks.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No fruit - they like it and will eat it, but torts can't handle sugars so it's bad for them.
Stick to the recommended diet in the caresheet.

Kaaayy.cc

Menifee
I would cut out vitamins all together for now. Just a pinch of calcium like Yvonne G suggested. Let Sheldon detox from the vitamins. It wont hurt him for a few weeks.
Okay thank you, I will! I will keep updating you all and hopefully I see changes with his skin soon !