Help needed! A tortoise found in back yard, Washing DC, USA

jing

We found this tortoise in our back yard, which is connected to a local park. Our kids are so excited and want to keep it as a pet. Does everyone know which brand this is? Is it a good idea to keep it as a pet? Thanks!

Attachments

• mmexport1494211205407.jpg
    mmexport1494211205407.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 69

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Looks like you found a box turtle, I'm not sure which ones are native to your area but if it's wild, it'd be best to turn it loose. I've never seen one colored up like that before. He's a pretty thing.

Could you post some more pictures of him from all angles??

It could also be a escaped or released pet, keep an eye open for missing pet ads.

@cmac3 do you recognize this? @Yvonne G

jing

Looks like you found a box turtle, I'm not sure which ones are native to your area but if it's wild, it'd be best to turn it loose. I've never seen one colored up like that before. He's a pretty thing.

Could you post some more pictures of him from all angles??

It could also be a escaped or released pet, keep an eye open for missing pet ads.

@cmac3 do you recognize this? @Yvonne G
Thank you for your reply! He is pretty. I only have this photo now. I will pay attention to ads.

Kara Kopek

Virginia
I actually rescue and rehab Eastern boxes in Virginia if you need any help or questions definitely let me know! Idk about Washington but in VA you can keep 5 maximum. They do require a good amount of care though. If you don't release I can come meet you to pickup. Thank you!!

Kara Kopek

Virginia
Yes I actually have a wooded area called turtley lake!! Would you be willing to meet me somewhere? I will be in Charles City tomorrow. But I'm sorry I will not drive to DC area!!

AJK Aquaria

Yes I actually have a wooded area called turtley lake!! Would you be willing to meet me somewhere? I will be in Charles City tomorrow. But I'm sorry I will not drive to DC area!!

Hi Kara

My question was to the OP.

If the animal was truly found in DC then it has to be an escapee or released animal.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hi Kara

My question was to the OP.

If the animal was truly found in DC then it has to be an escapee or released animal.
There is actually a thriving wildlife population in DC. They have a great stream valley park and are starting to have problems with deer over-population and coyotes have moved in recently. I've seen wild Eastern box turtles in the 1700 acre Rock Creek Park and they claim to have them at the Natonal Arboretum too. DC's not that bad...during the daylight hours! But definitely stay away from the Capital building, day or night, there's some real shady characters around there.

AJK Aquaria

Good to know. Thanks.

And that's good to hear. If the OP is anywhere near those areas then it's probably best to release it.

My 14 year old step son is heading there soon for a school trip. I'll let him know to stay in at night, lol