Help needed for leopard tortoise housing please x

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianex

5 Year Member
Hi my names Diane and live in the uk.

I have a lovely little leopard tortoise approx 4 years old. i have him in a 4ft tortoise table with strip uv light and 100 watt basking spot.
I dont think my tortoise is warm enough as my house gets very cold and draughty at night so i am thinking of buying a 3ft vivarium for him. im looking for some advise on this as alot of people prefare the tort table to a viv.

i personally think my tort will be warmer and hopefully happier in a viv. I handle him every day and allow him my kitchen area for exercise daily so its not like my tort will be constantly confined to this area. any thoughts on this appreciated.

also what should i include in the viv bulb wise. thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Diane, and welcome to the Forum!

You can cover or partially cover the habitat to keep the warm air inside.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Diane,
You probably should ask your questions under the "Leopard Tortoise" thread. There, forum members that have leopards will see it and answer your questions specific to your breed. For a 4 year old leopard you need an even bigger enclosure for sure. We have other leopard owners in the UK that should be very helpful to your needs. Welcome to the forum.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have a leopard yearling in a Viv. What source of heat are you using when your lights go off for the night? Here is what i do....I use a basking bulb and CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) on both sides of my Viv and I use a plexi glass cover, which i had cut to size at Home Depot over the top leaving each end open for the CHE & basking bulb. At night when the basking bulbs go out my tort sleeps on a bed of Sphagnum moss directly under the CHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.