Help. Never noticed spot on bottom of back feet

Cptcourtinay

Location (City and/or State)
Everett
I just noticed while giving the little one a bath and soak that she has pink, naked not scaly spots on her bottom feet is that normal? I can't recall ever noticing it before and I've had for for four years. She is very active and is constantly moving in her enclosure. I use orchard grass as substrate and it is a glass 3x6x3 container. I don't put anything on the bottom because I clean her cage often and it's easier to clean. She doesn't pee of poop on the bottom, she is potty trained and only goes in her little potty space

KIMG0204.jpg

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just noticed while giving the little one a bath and soak that she has pink, naked not scaly spots on her bottom feet is that normal? I can't recall ever noticing it before and I've had for for four years. She is very active and is constantly moving in her enclosure. I use orchard grass as substrate and it is a glass 3x6x3 container. I don't put anything on the bottom because I clean her cage often and it's easier to clean. She doesn't pee of poop on the bottom, she is potty trained and only goes in her little potty space

Her frequent movement and lack of suitable substrate have gradually abraded her foot pads and worn them down against the glass surface in her enclosure. Infection of the foot can follow if the situation is not addressed. You can put a small dab of antibiotic ointment or silver sulfadiazine cream on the worn pads once daily until it resolves which can be relatively shortly if the areas are kept clean. I would keep her on paper towels during the course of treatment. If the area begins to swell or discolor, which would indicate infection penetrating the wounds, or if the treatment fails to show improvement, it's time to see a qualified veterinarian.

Not to be skeptical but I do not believe tortoises can be potty trained. Good luck.

Cptcourtinay

Everett
I mean she is potty trained in the sense that she only goes in the area designated for it and when she has a soak. I am disheartened to have my first response be so seemingly rude. Thanks for the advice, even if I put "proper substrate in there she will just dig to the bottom like she always does and I have tried lining the bottom of the tank but she tears it up and lies straight on the bottom. But thanks again, I will address it to the best of my ability

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I mean she is potty trained in the sense that she only goes in the area designated for it and when she has a soak. I am disheartened to have my first response be so seemingly rude. Thanks for the advice, even if I put "proper substrate in there she will just dig to the bottom like she always does and I have tried lining the bottom of the tank but she tears it up and lies straight on the bottom. But thanks again, I will address it to the best of my ability

My apologies. I meant to be helpful. And again, sincere good luck.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It really does look like an abrasion. Is it like that on all 4 of her feet?

I don't know what to suggest, but I'll tag someone who knows a lot about tortoise wound care. @Yvonne G

Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would have basically said the same thing as Domalle - not being rude, just giving an opinion from my experience.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Domalle's response was by no means rude. Just plain, honest, sensible, knowledgeable and well-intentioned.
Good luck with getting this problem sorted.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Absolutely no need for you to apologize for your honest and useful advice.

You are very kind. I think it is somewhat natural to be sensitive to perceived criticism when you're new, worried about your pet and looking for help.
I probably could have been less technical and more sensitive. I regret the misunderstanding and hope they come back.