HELP!! New Baby Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hey guys!! I'm new to tortoise keeping and I just got a baby sulcata tortoise! (Pip) He is the best thing ever! I got him on Tuesday from backwater reptiles. There are some things about him that worry me though.....

He squeaks. I've read up online that this could be a symptom of respiratory infection, but gen had no other symptoms!

Also, he sleeps most of the time. Is this normal for babies? He does wake up and walk around occasionally, and he does eat, and he does drink. The rest of the time he just sleeps.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. I just love Pip so much already!

-Vanessa

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Vanessa.

You've made mistake number one. Read this for more explanation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Then read these for the correct care and feeding info. Most of the care info you find is old, wrong, and based on old incorrect assumptions of how they live in the wild. This is NOT a desert species.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Get your temps up to 85 day and night and soak daily. This will be easiest in a large closed chamber. Don't wait. Time is critical. Some of these babies make it and some don't. All you can do is offer the best possible warm monsoon conditions and hope for the best. Also, there is nothing a vet can do in a case like this. Most of what they would do will make things worse.

Kansas
I'm afraid I don't under stand... He is soaked daily, kept at 80 degrees, had a grass diet, etc. I really don't see what you message means. It's very vague. So he is sick?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You have to be very careful when buying babies. You always want to do your homework about the source. It’s critical that babies are started out correctly or the chances of having to go through HFS (Hatchling Failure Syndrome) are much higher.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm afraid I don't under stand... He is soaked daily, kept at 80 degrees, had a grass diet, etc. I really don't see what you message means. It's very vague. So he is sick?
Do a search here in the vendor review section for Backwater Reptiles and read some of the experiences that have been had by our members. Then all will be clear.

Then read this for more explanation about what is likely coming your way: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but even though it sucks to hear, I think its better to know what is going on than to wonder and feel like you've done something wrong or cared for the new baby incorrectly. Its also best to know before spending hundreds of pointless dollars at a vet's office. Unfortunately, if the baby was started wrong, no vet can save it. All you can do is offer optimal care and conditions and hope for the best. Some of them make, so its definitely worth the effort to give it your best shot.

Please feel free to ask all your questions. Happy to explain anything that needs more clarification. Hoping for the best for you and yours!

Kansas
Thank you so much! I am going to raise his humidity (it's a little low) and just pray he gets better. I did read a few reviews on the breeder, and they seemed fine, but I could have missed a few integral ones. I'll post an update if he declines or improves. If gen does die, what should I do? Should I have them send me another one, since that's their policy if one dies?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much! I am going to raise his humidity (it's a little low) and just pray he gets better. I did read a few reviews on the breeder, and they seemed fine, but I could have missed a few integral ones. I'll post an update if he declines or improves. If gen does die, what should I do? Should I have them send me another one, since that's their policy if one dies?
This is an individual choice. All the babies are started the same incorrect way, so a replacement is likely to go the same way. Personally, I wouldn't take that risk and suffer that heartache again. I'd cut my losses and buy one from someone who starts them correctly. The difference is night and day.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome. It is important to have your little buddy in a closed enclosure. So you can keep heat and humidity at the suggested ranges.