help new sulcata tortoise owner

Rosalet2

Yes, please do that and please keep us updatet. Fingers are crossed for your tort !
Thank you and I will, if he makes it I will still need lots of help and advice on how to best care for him. Even with all the information I have read I have lots of questions.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
I hope that your tortoise will recover, and when you have questions please ask them. Here in the forum are a lot of people who have experience with sulcatas and are willing to help you.
Me too.

Regards
Sabine

Rosalet2

Yes, please do that and please keep us updatet. Fingers are crossed for your tort !
I am at the vet appointment and she still insists that Baytril is the way to go. I asked her about other a alternative in medication and she said that is all she carries. They are going to do a Xray still waiting for results and the maggots are unable to be removed she said without surgical removal of the shell that she has never done and think he would have to go to Davis to be treated and sounds like that is something I will never be able to afford. Because today's visit alone already is going to cost me $500
She has advised me to soak him in betadine three times a day. The Baytril will be injection that I will have to give orally.
What do I do? This was my biggest fear to take him to vet that does not really know much about tortoises and i pay so much to end up the same or worse then when I started. I also contacted the vet that was listed on the forum and she is out ill with the flu but advised me not to wait for her.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
I am going to keep him inside, and my plans are to take him as soon as my vet opens. Now my concern is that she might not now how to treat him and that his dies, I don't want him to die I have only had him going on 3 weeks but I love all animals and I can't imagine what he must be going through. I jus email a vet on the list of this forum and as soon as business hours come I will try to call her to see if she can see him today instead of the vet that has already seen him.
if you can collect some of the maggots; put in sealed bag or jar; it might help your vet. Many insects have a larval stage; and some are much more of a health hazard than others.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I am at the vet appointment and she still insists that Baytril is the way to go. I asked her about other a alternative in medication and she said that is all she carries. They are going to do a Xray still waiting for results and the maggots are unable to be removed she said without surgical removal of the shell that she has never done and think he would have to go to Davis to be treated and sounds like that is something I will never be able to afford. Because today's visit alone already is going to cost me $500
She has advised me to soak him in betadine three times a day. The Baytril will be injection that I will have to give orally.
What do I do? This was my biggest fear to take him to vet that does not really know much about tortoises and i pay so much to end up the same or worse then when I started. I also contacted the vet that was listed on the forum and she is out ill with the flu but advised me not to wait for her.
You could try the vet in Visalia. His name is Dr. Cardwell and he is at the Companion Animal Medical Center.

During the civil war, doctors used maggots to remove dead and rotting tissue from wounds, so the maggots may not be hurting him as much as you think. Until you hear otherwise, I would do as your vet advises.

Bee62

Germany
You could try the vet in Visalia. His name is Dr. Cardwell and he is at the Companion Animal Medical Center.

During the civil war, doctors used maggots to remove dead and rotting tissue from wounds, so the maggots may not be hurting him as much as you think. Until you hear otherwise, I would do as your vet advises.

Under the control of a doctor can maggots help to remove dead flesh. But out of control maggots are dangerous in wounds. If there a hundreds ( what can be possible ) the eat living flesh and damage muscles or internal organs.
I would soak the tort as often as possible to remove so many maggots as possible.

Bee62

Germany

Can you ask the reptile vet who is ill on the telephone if she would use Baytril oral for a tort ? I would try it.
But your tortoise needs AB against the infection of the wound in his shell.
Is your tort still eating ? You must keep him warm night and day. That`s really important for the immune system of your tort to work.
And please soak him in betadine against the maggots and the infection. But please keep an eye on him by soaking that he don`t drink the water.
I am sorry that you have to pay so much money for the VET. In Germany VET`s are cheaper....

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Can you ask the reptile vet who is ill on the telephone if she would use Baytril oral for a tort ? I would try it.
Is your tort still eating ? You must keep him warm night and day. That`s really important for the immune system of your tort to work.
And please soak him in betadine against the maggots and the infection. But please keep an eye on him by soaking that he don`t drink the water.
I am sorry that you have to pay so much money for the VET. In Germany VET`s are cheaper....
I am not sure of its availability in Germany; but I think this is a good point to point out the value of having pet insurance. Emergencies and long term treatments can become extremely expensive; and I sleep better at night; knowing I can handle the problems if one should arise in the health of my pets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live in the Fresno area, micky is walking an alert the Baytril prescription was injection but I am concerned that she did not know much about tortoises. I will take him in tomorrow first thing in the morning. I have him inside right now because the temperature out are not over the 70s with the exception of yesterday.
I also read that because of infection and of his cracked shell I should of not let him outside were he prefers to be he is outside raise and was on 100% grass fed. He refused all the food that I offered him.

Dr. Sue Lynch lives in Sanger. She's semi-retired, but occasionally sees an animal here or there. You might consider giving her a call. I'll PM you her phone number. She's mobile (doesn't have an office, and comes to you), but she would be able to flush out those maggots and give you some Baytril injections. . . or other antibiotics as required. Dr. Sue used to be the vet at the Chaffee zoo, and she really knows her animals.

Rosalet2

Thank you so much for telling me not to allow him to drink the water with betadine I was wondering and the vet was all over the place she did not tell me I guess this was A bit to much for her, when I picked him up 3 hours later she had only done 1/2 of what the treatment plan was and did not even get to do the Xray. I only payed $190, I did ask the Dr Lynch (sick Dr) about taking Baytril oral she said it did not taste good but I will try to mix it with tasty food and hope he eats it. And then I plan to follow up with her.