help new tortoise!

gk8

Hi guys!
I have just been given a two year old spur thighed tortoise and the last owner has said that it is best that he isnt kept in a vavarium (which I have brought for him with a uv light and spot included) and that he should be kept in a cardboard box at night wrapped in a blanket and kept outside in the day. Im confused as I thought tortoises that were young needed sunlight a lot and artifical light?

Also do tortoises need water constantly near them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes tortoises need water available 24/7. Large enough bowl so,they can self soak if they want. A clay saucer for flower pots work good, not too deep. The sunshine is the best uv you can offer. If you can get him outside every day for a couple hours, you don't even need artificial uv. Always make sure there is plenty of shade and if it's too hot, then have them out for only a half hour or so. Please post a pic so we can see how small he is, how old is he?

gk8

Great. So I can keep him in the vivarium at night? Im going to take him to the vets to get checked over and to check his age is correct. Here's a pic of him.

Attachments

• 20140712_174309.jpg
    20140712_174309.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, that would be fine for night. Give him a hide and some good substrate and also a water dish, just incase he gets the night time dry mouth:D

gk8

Ok thanks for your help. Think im going to get a smaller water dish as I have given him one but he hasnt drunk any since I have had him. Ive kept him in the box tonight but he has been trying to get out the past two hours.. im going to definately put him in his home tomorow. It doesnt feel right him being in a box. When you said good substrate what do you recommend?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
A cardboard box and a blanket does not sound too good. He can eat all kinds of hair or fuzz from the blanket. Vivarium is a good plan. Give him a warm place to hide at night like a terra cotta flower pot tiped over on its side & fill it with coconut coir or reptile bark aka fir bark. Welcome to the forum too :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Great. So I can keep him in the vivarium at night? Im going to take him to the vets to get checked over and to check his age is correct. Here's a pic of him.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't believe you have a spur thigh tortoise or sulcata. Regardless, no tortoise should live in a box or have a blanket put over him at night. It's obvious that the previous owner didn't know much about this tortoise. I'm glad you found this forum where you'll learn how to care for your little guy. Wellington gave you some good advice about providing clean water 24/7. Also, since the weather is warm now, you can provide an outside enclosure where he's protected from predators like cats, dogs, raccoons, possums, large birds, etc. Can you give us some details on what kind of outdoor living you intend to give him? Also, what are you feeding him and how often? Tortoises love to feel safe; therefore, you need to provide a hiding place like a plastic shoebox turned upside down with an opening large enough for him to easily get in and out. The substrate I like is coco coir and organic soil (50/50). Any water dish you plan to have in the enclosure should be placed level with the substrate so that he can get in and out easily. What type of heating will you be providing? I know this is a lot to take in, but you'll get it all straightened out here.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to tell you that you do not have a spur thigh sulcata tortoise. It looks like you have a Greek, but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, no tortoise should be in a box and wrapped in a blanket at night. Your new tortoise is scared to death right now. He may not eat or drink for a couple of days until he feels safe in his new environment. Provide a hide for him. You can use a shoebox turned upside down with an opening large enough to get in and out easily. When you provide clean water daily, place the plate level with the substrate. What type of lighting will you provide? If he gets to spend a couple of hours outside daily, he wouldn't need a UV light. A regular bulb will provide light and heat enough. If you plan to let him stay outside during the day, make sure his outdoor enclosure is predator safe. Predators like dogs, cats, raccoons, possums,or large birds can hurt your tortoise. Check here on the forum for enclosures to get some ideas. Btw, can you post a picture of his plastron (the underside)? It's very important that you know what you have in order to provide the best care for your new baby.

Sorry for the dup. The first post never showed up despite several minutes. And, I can't seem to delete this post.

gk8

Hiya oh ok lol. Yeah she was an old woman who thought ahe was an expert bur it didn't sound right what she was doing. I have a hide for him in his shelter. He hasnt eaten and doesnt look like he has drunk any water. I have a long uv light in the tank and a a hang down light as well for heat. When I woke up he wasnt moving and the temp had gone up to nearly 90Fin the tank im terrified ive nearly killed him. I have a run outside which has a cover over it to protect him from birds and predators until I can by a better outside enclousure for him. Hw just seems to come up to the glass and want to try and get out all the time!!

gk8

A cardboard box and a blanket does not sound too good. He can eat all kinds of hair or fuzz from the blanket. Vivarium is a good plan. Give him a warm place to hide at night like a terra cotta flower pot tiped over on its side & fill it with coconut coir or reptile bark aka fir bark. Welcome to the forum too :)

Yeah it was cruel. Thanks you :) x

glaerey

5 Year Member
Greek is also a spur thigh. But it looks Hermann to me.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Maybe @HermanniChris can take a look for you what kind of Greek it might be?

Congrats on your new tortoise it looks great and healthy, it looks like you already got some great advice, so I suggest you keep on reading and learn as much as you can.

Take care,

Joey

Reactions: gk8

Anna101a

He is a lovely little tortoise and you will learn so much from the forum , I have and it has helped me improve the care I give my tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi gk8, and welcome to the Forum!

If you have built a nice, safe outdoor enclosure for your new Greek tortoise, then bringing him into the house at night, wrapped up in a blanket in a cardboard box, is quite ok. Tortoises just sleep at night and there's no need to set up a whole 'nother enclosure indoors for him. His main habitat is outside, and that's where he'll be spending his waking hours. If you hear your baby scratching around, he's just getting comfortable. Almost every single tortoise will scratch around, digging and trying to make his 'burrow' more comfortable for the night.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Kitkat1989

I'm quite new to all this aswell and honest u will get loads of help and advise from the guys here! He's lovely btw!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm glad you were able to correctly identify this cutie. There's a whole section on Greeks that you should read up on. Caring for Greeks differ from caring for other torts like sulcata
tortoises. Btw, although your little baby has spurs, they are not called spur thighs. As far as I know, only sulcatas are officially called "spur thigh tortoise." Greek tortoises are not called spur thigh tortoises. Also, it's a matter of personal preferences, but wrapping any tortoise in a blanket is neither sanitary nor safe. Some torts like to eat everything they see, and having fur balls in its mouth is not a good thing. Keep your baby safe, and read all you can on their care.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I'm glad you were able to correctly identify this cutie. There's a whole section on Greeks that you should read up on. Caring for Greeks differ from caring for other torts like sulcata
tortoises. Btw, although your little baby has spurs, they are not called spur thighs. As far as I know, only sulcatas are officially called "spur thigh tortoise." Greek tortoises are not called spur thigh tortoises. Also, it's a matter of personal preferences, but wrapping any tortoise in a blanket is neither sanitary nor safe. Some torts like to eat everything they see, and having fur balls in its mouth is not a good thing. Keep your baby safe, and read all you can on their care.
Greeks are called Spur-Thighed Tortoises in British English, and most people in Europe speaking English and using common names will refer to them as Spur-Thighs, as they don't really come from Greece-hermanni are found there though more commonly-.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Greeks are called Spur-Thighed Tortoises in British English, and most people in Europe speaking English and using common names will refer to them as Spur-Thighs, as they don't really come from Greece-hermanni are found there though more commonly-.

But we don't speak British English here, and if you read the OP's first post, it's obvious that the term" spur thigh tortoise " was not referring to her Greek tortoise. We don't want members to be confused about just what kind of tortoise they have, don't you agree?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
But we don't speak British English here, and if you read the OP's first post, it's obvious that the term" spur thigh tortoise " was not referring to her Greek tortoise. We don't want members to be confused about just what kind of tortoise they have, don't you agree?
Many of us do in fact. There aren't just Americans on here, and tbh, calling them 'Greek Tortoises' is a very misleading name, so I see no problem with calling them Spur-Thighs, as it is a more accurate description anyway. I think they were referring to a 'Greek' tortoise, I can't see why you think they were referring to a different species. I don't agree, for as I said, different names are perfectly acceptable, and a 'Spur Thigh' name is more accurate, even if the Latin name calls it 'Greek'. Yes Sulcatas are sometimes called African Spur-Thighed Tortoises, but that is quite an unusual name. Perhaps a thread with common name synonyms would be a good idea. I can think of at least one other tortoise like the Greeks, where American English calls them Russians, when in fact they don't come from Russia at all. Here we call them Horsfield's Tortoise generally.