HELP!!!!(not eating and color on shell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
HELP!
my BBMT hatchling has not been eating latley and has this odd white coloring on his shell. Please help! im so worried ill post a pic if its needed please help :'(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
RE: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a pic! Give us details: temps, humidity, lighting, substrate, etc.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

ok! His cgae is usually about 82 F but i try to keep it at 80 but my thermometer isnt the best. The humidy is always about 70 but i try really ahrd to get it to 80 i have a repti fogger but i need to figure out how im going to set it up. he has a 5.0 UVB and a heat pad. I keep the heat pad on at all times unless its a hot day. the UVB i keep on from about 8 am to 7 pm i also use cypress mulch and i soak that in warm water weekly

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 129

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

The pic isn't really good, but if by "white" you mean the few specs shown in the pic, I really can't tell you what's with that. How old is you baby? Babies often sleep a lot; so, if what you mean is that he's always sleeping and has gone two or more days w/o eating and moving around, then there may be a problem. Before we go any further, is there any pic of his enclosure, and maybe a better, clearer pic. of your baby?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

What is your hiding areas like for him? Could take a photo of the enclosure. What have you been trying to feed? Is he eating any worms or anything. Did you get a pothos plant in their for him. These guys can stress very easy at young age. They need lots of good places to hide. Is he using the moss you had in there at all?

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

sibi said:
The pic isn't really good, but if by "white" you mean the few specs shown in the pic, I really can't tell you what's with that. How old is you baby? Babies often sleep a lot; so, if what you mean is that he's always sleeping and has gone two or more days w/o eating and moving around, then there may be a problem. Before we go any further, is there any pic of his enclosure, and maybe a better, clearer pic. of your baby?

The lighter areas on his shell are the problem
sorry to pic is bad its my ipod and my camera takes a long time to import
He is eating again he hadnt eaten since tuesday night but now after i soaked him hes eating a big plate of yummy lettuce mustard green mazuri bell pepper and corn and yes ill try

tortadise said:
What is your hiding areas like for him? Could take a photo of the enclosure. What have you been trying to feed? Is he eating any worms or anything. Did you get a pothos plant in their for him. These guys can stress very easy at young age. They need lots of good places to hide. Is he using the moss you had in there at all?

ATM i have a log but he perfers to bury himself. I fee a variey of things form lettuces greens bell peppers mushrooms strawberrys mazuri and more. Ive tried to feed him mealworms but he wont eat them. I am hopin to get him one tom. ive just been really busy and havnt had time to get one. He doesn love to bury and sleep so thats a good sign
He just started eating again i think he just got nervous cause my dogs were being loud

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Well blacks or browns at hatchling size can stress very very easy. I would add some more moss and plants, logs whatever so he has as many options possible. Try earth worms or red wiggler worms, even snails, oysters, cooked chicken too. These guys require a good amount of protein at this size. Lots and Lots of fresh water too. Glad he ate for yah.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Well blacks or browns at hatchling size can stress very very easy. I would add some more moss and plants, logs whatever so he has as many options possible. Try earth worms or red wiggler worms, even snails, oysters, cooked chicken too. These guys require a good amount of protein at this size. Lots and Lots of fresh water too. Glad he ate for yah.

Ok awesome ill try to get some more in there. OK Thank you so much! I wasnt sure what to feed ill cook up some chicken :) I am to Thansk for the help

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

tyrs4u said:
what i use on babies who think food is bad... NATURE ZONE APPETITE PLUS

Liquid B-12 supplement. Appetite stimulant and tissue regeneration. 1 or 2 drops daily for several days. Feeding behavior should improve.

google it or
http://www.turtlesale.com/home/index.php?page=supplements

Ill be sure to try it! hes eating again atm but ill order just to have!

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

He ate a small amount but now hes back to not eating. I think he is getting cold. How do i prevent this? He has a heat pad should i get anther? his bedding is damp for humidy but im worried , im getting plants and hides tom. but i am just so worried about my baby :'( ill post better pics tom please keep advice coming

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Can you use a temperature gun or probe thermometer to measure the substrate temps? Ambient temperature is good but if the substrate temp is cold then thats bad. Might need to add another heat pad or even a ceramic heat emitter for added warmth to the substrate. Measure the temp of the moss/mulch your using if its cold then that will more than likely be your issue.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Can you use a temperature gun or probe thermometer to measure the substrate temps? Ambient temperature is good but if the substrate temp is cold then thats bad. Might need to add another heat pad or even a ceramic heat emitter for added warmth to the substrate. Measure the temp of the moss/mulch your using if its cold then that will more than likely be your issue.
Ok :D I think the substrate is getting cold. I have taled to my mom and shes wiling to anything we just dont want him to get sick :D I think the heat emitter would be good since his tank is very large. Should i put lots of plants to block out the light from the CHE? or would u rec anthor heat pad

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

I would figure the temps first then start each step with eithet CHE or a heatpad or even both might be needed to keep it stable.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
I would figure the temps first then start each step with eithet CHE or a heatpad or even both might be needed to keep it stable.

Ok. i currently ahve a heat pad so im gonna go ahead and buy th CHE. I feel bad now beacuase i wet the sub to keep humidy but now its to cold :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Yeah sounds like a big issue in the non eating part. Just make sure it doesnt get too hot.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Yeah sounds like a big issue in the non eating part. Just make sure it doesnt get too hot.

ok! should i also get a few bags of new sub to kinda dry it out?? I feel so bad :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Yeah need to get the warmth back up. Maybe mix in some new warmed up m alulch. Maybe put it in the sun. Also try using hot water in the mister.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Yeah need to get the warmth back up. Maybe mix in some new warmed up m alulch. Maybe put it in the sun. Also try using hot water in the mister.

Ok awesome. Im heading out today and ill be picking alot of stuff up for him. Thanks again so much for the help! :D Ill be sure to keep u all updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.