Help on my outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Need help on my outdoor enclosure. My babies need fresh air and I hate leaving them in their tank when I have to leave the house. I'm building an outdoor enclosure so they can have more room, fresh air, and natural sunlight during the day. I'll take them inside during the evening to sleep and on bad weather days. I'll be adding dividers in my outdoor enclosure to separate the different species. I need help though. This is my first. The enclosure is 30 feet by 2 1/2 feet. What substrate should I use? I have a redfoot, yellow foot, leopard, and sulcata. They are all about 3 inches. What should I put in it? Is there special needs for certain species? I live in San Diego near the coast. Any tips and help would be great! Thx everyone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would just leave the natural dirt. Maybe for the redfoot and yellowfoot you could add some smallish bark or coco coir, but for the other two species, you'd want the dirt for growing weeds and grasses.

Also, I'd be worried about the spacing between the wrought iron fence. Babies would use the plants and get right up there and out the fence, which brings up another question. That looks like public space on the other side of the fence. I'd also be worried about the two-legged predators reaching over or through the fence.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
emysemys said:
I would just leave the natural dirt. Maybe for the redfoot and yellowfoot you could add some smallish bark or coco coir, but for the other two species, you'd want the dirt for growing weeds and grasses.

Also, I'd be worried about the spacing between the wrought iron fence. Babies would use the plants and get right up there and out the fence, which brings up another question. That looks like public space on the other side of the fence. I'd also be worried about the two-legged predators reaching over or through the fence.
good point. I think I'll add an extra wired fence that'll go a foot or two high to solve this problem and also lessen the plants in the side toward the fence. Oh and the place outside the fence is a huge private golf club. Only rich people who can afford it go through there. It is not public. I hope no golfer decides they want a tort. I bet they'd be to busy with their golfing to even notice them though. How about humidity control for the cherry head and yellow food? What do you suggest?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I would add the wire (smaller gauge) along the back fence as you suggest. Perhaps bury it about 6" just for extra security?
Then, over that, to keep out prying eyes, what about the roll up bamboo fencing along the back fence? It should be on sale right now.

The only other thing to check on is whether they use a lot of pesticides/fertilizers directly along the fence (to avoid run off).

Otherwise, I really like the area and the dimensions! Hopefully you can work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.