Help our Pet Stores

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Folks. I was in a local pet store this weekend and they had baby sulcata as well as a few other various torts and turtles. I asked the clerk about the sulcata and as all too frequently he gave me bad info.

It occurred to me that if some of us supplied our pet stores with a simple care sheet they could hand out to buyers we might save some of these little guys from disaster.
I'm going to try it here. I'll let you know how it works ( or doesn't). We will see...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go get 'em Mike. I wish you good luck. Even if you don't seem to succeed initially, you have still planted a seed that will eventually come to fruition.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WAY TO GO, MIKE!!!:)

You could help a WHOLE LOT of tortoises this way!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
*loudly virtually clapping and whistling*
Good job! :D
*Donates 1 like*

Alaskamike

South Florida
Maybe if a few of us tried this - we could share what approach works best. For me I think it might work if -
1. We don't act sanctimonious about it
2. We talk to the owner or manager ( not just an employee)
3. Keep the sheet to 1/2 page. Short to the point
4. Keep to facts. Don't try and discourage purchase. That would insure they WON'T hand em out
5. Make a dozen or more copies yourself. Don't expect the store to do it - at least not at first
6. Follow up in a week or so and NICLY ask if the care sheets are being used / handed out. If they lost / misplaced them. Get em some more.

Let's share how this works !

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
This is a splendid idea, Mike. When I was in high school and had a lot of time on my hands, I'd spend quite a bit of time at the mom and pop store called Pet Stuff (sadly, they're now closed). Matt, the guy who owned the place, came to appreciate my presence, given my willingness to dispense knowledge concerning tortoises. Whenever I was in the store and someone would ask him a question about one of the torts he had for sale, he'd point to me and say, "ask the kid; he's the real expert." I printed up a sulcata care sheet based on what I knew about them at the time (nothing compared to what I know now, thanks to the forum) to dispense to his customers interested in buying one. I feel this works very well when the owner has a legitimate interest in the animals and seeing his customers happy. This is, unfortunately, not always the case these days. One suggestion, make sure to put the web address of the forum on the caresheet. That, I feel, is most important, to let newbies know that they aren't alone in their endeavor, that they have a free source of information from those with decades of experience.

T.G.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D Great idea Mike! I'm not sure the pet store would want to provide the sheets, though...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
There are a few more animal laws such as that no one under 18 is allowed to buy an animal... These will probably help them, I keep thinking I should give a suggestion to make it a requirement to give animal care sheets... :) the animal authorities here are trying to improve rapidly!

Alaskamike

South Florida
I agree that adding the tortoise forum web site address is a great idea. I do believe a care sheet should be MANDATORY on all pets other than dogs or cats. Jeeze you get instructions on everything but paper clips nowdays. You would think a living thing deserves at least the basic information. Certainly anyone can learn the basics they need to know on the internet in a very short time if they really look. But the care sheets would help those who don't look, or buy an animal for a child / teen.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
It was helpful discussion from a Sulcata breeder that led to a change in all of our stores in how sulcatas are supposed to be housed - it was actually brought up at a company wide meeting a few years ago and discussed for everyone to learn. We changed the recommended substrate and increased humidity and saw a marked difference in how well they did. It was such a change that we even turned the general discussion (and research with the books and papers used to fuel the discussion among staff) into a general caresheet that we keep on the main website now. :)

A little positive "hey, your tortoises might do better if you try this" goes a long long way, and ultimately benefits the tortoises in a much bigger way.

Thanks for sharing your idea, it's a good one!

-Jen

Tiff

5 Year Member
Petsmart and petco provide care sheets, but they're not quite accurate. Maybe contacting headquarters for the chains and giving them accurate information so they can update their care sheets.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks Jen, I will look at your caresheet and maybe use that one if its okay. The store I was in is not part of a chain (I don't think), but is the largest store with exotic pets in the area- monkeys, parrots, and many retiles as well as puppies.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well, I tried to create a care sheet on a single page, but it ended up two pages, so I'm copying them on a single sheet, front and back. Put the Tortoise Forum web site on there as well as Sulcata-Station. Covered the most important issues ; growth/size, environment, humidity, temps, diet, water, digging, Sunlight/UVB, exercise. I thank the members here for such great and current info to gleen from. Now I'll see if I can convince them to give them out at the pet store. fingers crossed. I'll keep ya posted

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm thinking of asking the government of the environment to make it obligatory to give specific care sheet when selling animals in pet stores, would it be ok with the forum care sheets?

Alaskamike

South Florida
I believe it is best to get the care information from those Actually doing the care. Be sure info is not too old as new things are learned all the time.
The ASPCA and other organizations do a good job of protecting dogs / cats/ horses and domesticated animals. But reptiles in general have very few to advocate for them.
Unfortunately many people see them as unfeeling (cold-blooded = cold).
Anyone who can push for humane treatment and proper care sheets should do so.
It is the only way this will change.