Help! Overwhelmed and Need help setting up for a baby red foot!

Colemarie028

Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
We are very interested in getting a baby red foot. We live in Nebraska and I am very overwhelmed with all the information I am finding in researching these little guys. Could anyone help me with a checklist of everything needed before we get a baby RF? There is just so many options! Best starter enclosure, what kind of substrate, which lighting/heating is best to use, best food to start with??? Any help would be greatly appreciated as we want to be the best caregivers possible! Thanks!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I started with this. It's an xmas tree storage bin. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $25. I cut the lid for the ceramic heat emitter and light. Screenshot_2018-07-09-06-27-38-1.png 20180514_174849.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
Thank you! This all very helpful!
I love the look of this enclosure by Zoo Med...what is everyone’s thoughts on it? Has anyone else used this enclosure? Would the CHE and light just be place on top?

Zoo Med Wood Tortoise House https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167S5EY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
It's a waste of money and won't house your hatchling for more than 6 months as well as it's an open top enclosure so you can't control temps and humidity well which a RF really needs. Christmas tree tote is 1/4 of the cost and you simply cut a hole in the top to place the CHE over. The hole itself should be lined with aluminum foil to protect the plastic from melting. Then screw your fluorescent inside on the top and you're set. The only other thing you'll need is a thermostat to plug the CHE into.