Help!! Painted wood turtle with a swollen eye!

Ashleyscianna

Hello, I have no idea how to work a forum so hopefully I placed this in the right area???

Anywho... I have three painted wood turtles currently and am having difficulties finding information on them. One of my females has had discharge and a slightly sunken eye for about a month now (I got her recently and she came to me like this. I'm assuming terrible care was taken of her as her shell looks very sad. I moisturize the shell with Vitashell weekly)

I read this was due to lack of moisture so I've set my humidifier on a timer for 30 minutes every three hours hoping it would bring the humidity up. All my turtles live indoors with a controlled temp at 75 and a basking light at 90. They have UVA and UVB lights with a fairly large water area with a filter and a basking rock in the water. Their food is dusted with calcium and D3. I feed them an assortment of greens, fruit, and mealworms and other meats every other day. The substrate consists of 2/3 wood chips and 1/3 peat moss(which is always moist). They spend most of their time buried in it so I feel they are getting plenty of water.

I had hoped with all of this, her eye would return to normal but as of the last few hours, her eyeball has swollen slightly and I'm worried! What might be the problem and how can I fix it on a lower budget?

Ashleyscianna

It's a bar light, and I tried soaking a while back. Maybe two weeks ago I'd soak her for an hour for about 8 days

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There are a couple products to help soothe the eye:

eye ointment a.jpg

VETERICYN_Opht_Gel_2oz._V400395443_.jpg

The first one can be purchased from either a vet or at a feed store where they cater to horses and cattle. The other one is sometimes available through pet stores, but not all stores carry it.

Ashleyscianna

There are a couple products to help soothe the eye:

View attachment 158273

VETERICYN_Opht_Gel_2oz._V400395443_.jpg

The first one can be purchased from either a vet or at a feed store where they cater to horses and cattle. The other one is sometimes available through pet stores, but not all stores carry it.
Wow. Thank you those look fancy haha. I volunteer at an SPCA right next to a feed store so I'll go by soon. How would you recommend I apply it? And how much? Thanks again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They usually close the eye, so you end up applying it to the eyelid. That's ok. It absorbs through the lid and soothes the eye. Just a little dab a couple times a day.